Toilet Question

Daughter dropped a comb down the toilet as it was flushing, she left a note telling me this and I don't know the length of the comb, I was wondering if I could lift up the flapper in the tank and possibly retrieve it?

Or could it be somewhere in the toilet and not in the sewer pipe, if its in the pipe will a snake chew it up with out removing the toilet?

Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

It would not be under the flapper valve unless she dropped into the tank.

It is likely in the bend-trap if it is anywhere. That is the pipe inside the toilet from the large hole in the bowl to the drain pipe under the toilet.

It is working now or causing problems? Depending on the size and shape of the comb, it might be away from your home by now.

You can get a tool from the hardware store made just for the use and see if you can find it.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I used the toilet this morning big number 2, I removed the tank cover in case of an over flow, but it seemed to flush ok, I'll see my daughter later today and get the details on the size and lenth of the comb.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

No. The tube under the flapper only goes into the bowl. The comb could not get in there.

Stick your hand into the bowl drain, maybe it's near enough to grab. Otherwise, use a coat hanger, or similar, to try to dislodge it. If it is a long comb, it probably couldn't make the u-turn in the ceramic trap.

Reply to
willshak

If you are not having any overflow problems now, chances are the comb has already gone down the drain.

I once dropped a wrist watch into my toilet and never had a problem with it overflowing.

It was a rather expensive watch, so I did try to retrieve it, but it was long gone.

Reply to
Freckles

You will not see an overflow in the tank, if it is going to overflow it will be from the bowl. Nothing in the tank will be different.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is not much you are going to be able to do un the tank to prevent an overflow.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure there is, you can reach in and shove the flapper closed before it normally would.

Reply to
Goedjn