Toilet problem

I have a 40 year old toilet. When you go to flush it, the plunger either does not clear the water and you have to do it again OR the plunger stays up and you have to giggle it or open the bow and push it back down.

My wife whom I often introduce as my daughter is less than pleased. How do I fix it?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

roger61611

How to repair a toilet (multiple pages):

Toilet tank repair kits including the ballcock assembly and flappers are available at most hardware stores. It sounds perhaps that your issue may be only with the flapper, or perhaps it's as simple as adjusting the ballcock's float to allow a higher water level in the tank.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The toilet need fixing. My wife works perfectly. The only reason I don't get enough is that I can't take more.

Reply to
Dick Adams

As other responder notes you can buy kits or parts to fix anything on a toilet. Local hardware store for me is great source of information and parts. My solution, which is not DYI, with my old toilets has been to replace with new. I had one old toilet where I replaced every part except porceline but age and arthritis have me hiring plumber to replace whole toilet for about $300 including all labor and parts. Flush better, use less water and, in our case, kinder to septic system. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Dick,

Plunger? Do you mean flapper? Check the old flapper it may need replacing. Sounds as if the chain between the flapper and the flush arm needs to be adjusted. Tighten the chain a couple if links or beads and see if that helps. Or replace the flapper. The plunger is what you use when the plumbing is clogged.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

This toilet thread will quickly end up in the gutter.

tom @

Tom The Great