Toilet installation

Page 2 of 2

Haven't read all the other posts but I can tell you what I did for a shower base that had gaps all around it causing it to rock a bit on a concrete floor. Got a couple of can of expandable foam, you know, the stuff used for insulating in odd places. Went around the base and sprayed the foam until it finally started oozing out from under the base. Let it harden over night and then trimmed to fit. Worked like a charm, the base is rock solid. In your case don't know what would happen if you ever wanted to lift the toilet off the floor. MLD

What happens when you flush the first time and nothing at all goes down because foam has oozed and filled the drain pipe? Maybe some went up the toilet trap too huh?
I've set stools with a very "slight" sobble on dry fit with no shims. Once the wax ring and Johnny bolts are in place, the wobble was gone. Could it leak? Maybe. Could it break the porcelain? I suppose. But I've had neither. Remember, I'm talking about a very slight wobble.
On occasions I had to shim and used shingles (improvising on construction sites).
I would shim it with something like the plastic shims available at HD or Lowes. Thin set might give you issues when replacing the toilet in the future. I don't think the foam would be solid enough long term and you do run the risk of "lifting" the toilet from the wax seal if you use too much.