prepwork for trim..

I am about to paint the trim in my stairway.. It has 2-3 coats of paint. I know the top coat is a latex paint, and the bottom is lead paint.. I did a swab test and found it out.

What would be best after washing down with a non-soapy detergent- a light sanding, or using liquid sandpaper? I am going from a medium blue to a bright semi-gloss white. Would priming be necessary?

Reply to
Chris

  1. Latex doesn't sand so use TSP ("liquid sandpaper") to kill any gloss.
  2. No primer needed, it already has paint. You may need 2 coats of top paint to hide the blue.

Opinion: putting latex on wood should be a flogging offense.

Reply to
dadiOH

Pat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@64g2000hsu.googlegroups.com:

My crib was next to a window. If I got munchy during the night I'd get up and gnaw on some of the 2" of lead paint on the sill. I still have all my limbs and most marbles. I don't glow. Teeth are kinda beat though. I do wonder why mom put the crib near the window though...

Reply to
Red Green

Interesting - why is that? (I'm curious since I've committed the offense on more than one occasion...)

Reply to
Kyle

  1. You can't sand it

  1. Doesn't flow well, ergo brush marks

  2. Did I mention that you can't sand it?
Reply to
dadiOH

Well, since there is lead paranoia here, let me also say that I heard that oil based paint is being phased out now.. So, eventually you are going to be stuck using latex paint anyway.. Gotta go, my lead sundae is melting..

Reply to
Chris

What if there is no kid? I think it would be fun to watch retarded mice..

Reply to
Chris