Toilet Bowl Stains

I have light brown stains in the toilet bowls at the water line and runing down from the rim at each outlet hole. I have tried soaking with bleach, and mild abrasives like Barkeeper's Friend. I know that we have hard water, but I'm not sure what to use to eradicate these stains. I don't want to use one of those "blocks" that are rubbed on the porcelain. I tried one of those in a previous house and it had no effect. Any other ideas?
TIA Wayne

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner
They have one with bleach and one without.
Get the one WITHOUT bleach.
I find the one with bleach almost useless.

If it's caused by hard water, wouldn't CLR or some similar acid type product dissolve them? Just my 2 cents worth.
-Dan

runing
bleach,
product
Doesn't sound like skid marks :-) Rust?
<< Subject: Re: Toilet Bowl Stains From: "DS" snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com >> << Just my 2 cents worth. >> ____Reply Separator_____ If it's "A penny for your thoughts," and you put in "Your two cents worth," what happens to the other penny?
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:57:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

It sounds like rust stains. Use "Iron Out" It's a white powder sold in most grocery stores.
Iron Out, bleach, etc are useless. Something with oxalic acid in it such as "Stainless Steel Cleaner" work. Dishwasher detergent left on for an hour or two also works. Denture cleaner tablets will work for a ring at the water line if you add a bit of water.

A high concentration of CLR or similar product may work. You might also try 5star PBX organic cleaner. This stuff is amazing. Found at your local beer and wine brewers supply store, this stuff will clean the "burnt" off the bottom of your pans.
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/homebrew/products.html#pbw
GOOD LUCK!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
Are phone orders the only way to get 5-Star Chemical cleaners?
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:57:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Use "The Works" or CLR after emptying out the most of the water. Bar Keeper's Friend is abrasive and will scratch the porcelain making future cleaning more difficult.
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:57:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I once used something called Hawco creme emulsion toilet cleaner that was fantastic. Problem is I haven't been able to find it since.
one thing to help keep it from coming back is to use one of the cleaners that clean with every flush. We have the same problem and only two products have worked.... lysol toilet bowl cleaner with bleach OR Limeaway... Nothing else worked. Ambipur has worked wonders for in between. Used to have to scrub my toilet every 2/3 days now it is once a week just for cleaning not stains...
Caroline
wrote:

runing

A lot of great ideas from you folks. I'll start trying them one by one until I find the one that works. Thanks!!!
Wayne
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:59:44 GMT, "Caroline or Greg :P"

[snip quotes]
Drop in tablets are not a good idea as they can cause clogs and rot the tank internals. We've been using a Puricle in each of two toilets for over a year now. The cleaning solution does not go in the tank, but goes into the overflow tube and so directly in the bowl. We bought ours at Wal-Mart. To see it, or to order if your Wal-Mart doesn't carry it: http://www.puricle.com /.
I have no relation to this company other than buying their product.
--
Luke

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:57:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Couple more suggestions: Lime-Away toilet bowl cleaner has worked well for us and is inexpensive. If the stains are hard water deposits, avoid bleach as it seems to "set" the stain, making it more difficult to remove.
--
Luke

Efferdent (spelling ?) denture cleaner or a generic equiv work well. so does clorox left overnite