Toilet Stains

Some months ago I replaced my toilet pan with one that I got from the Freecycle Yahoo Group locally .It was unused and had been replaced by the owner as the contractor had put a slight chip in it . .Recently I have noticed a thin brown line going from under the rim at the rear of the pan ( right in the middle) down to the water line and also some green stuff like algae just below the water line .The brown stain looks rust like .

All the fittings in the cistern are plastic ,the only metal parts being the lever which is above the water level and the hook which obviously goes below the water but they are both not rusty .

Any suggestions what might be causing this and how I can stop it ..bleach in the cistern perhaps .?..It didn't happen with the previous toilet bowl.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

It sounds like limescale. Maybe it didnt show on the old one. Was it a different colour?

Try some Harpic, bleach will only remove the colour.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'l try that .Both pans are white ..Water here is soft so scale isn't a problem usually .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

"The Medway Handyman" typed

Whatever else you do

DO NOT MIX BLEACH WITH HARPIC!

Chlorine gas is evolved and can be very nasty.

I also yhink the brown might be limescale and would respond to Harpic or other limescale removers.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

If its not lime scale its piss scale, old women's toilets often have very serious scale from ostioporosis!

Reply to
badger.badger

I've never been called an old woman before ..LOL

STUART

Reply to
Stuart

"badger.badger" typed

Piss scale was a problem when I had a male guest who would not flush overnight. The scale was ar the water line, not down the back of the pan though.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Could be rust from anywhere upstream. Its probably been dribbling down there.

The green stuff is likely to be copper carbonate, from copper pipes in hard water areas.

start with a load of acid..anything from vinegar up through proprietary de scalers to brick acid. That will knock any carbonates back to soluble, and finish up with caustic soda..thats as good a bleach as you can get.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher