Toilet bolt replacement

Do I have to remove the toilet to replace these bolts? They are all corroded and I want to replace them with stainless steel ones...

Reply to
scott_z500

Yes, and exactly how you do it will depend upon the type of flange that is under there. You will not know until you actually lift it off.

Might be better to leave well enough alone.......

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Might be better to leave well enough alone"

I would just replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel, but the toilet rocks, so presumably at least the one that fell into the hole needs a new washer and nut. I figure as long as I'm buying parts I can get enough for both sides so that they both look nice.

Can I even get toilet bolts in stainless steel or will I have to use regular stainless steel bolt if I replace the bolts. I know toilet bolts look different...

Reply to
scott_z500

I've always used brass toilet bolts ( get them anyplace toilet parts are sold) and never had a problem, they might come in stainless but those would be tough to cut off at the toilet after you install them and even tougher to get out later if you had to remove the toilet. So I suggest brass. Change the Wax ring while you have the toilet off of course too.

Total investment for this job should be about $5

Reply to
Mikey S.

Scott,

Most have a plastic cap that nicely covers the bolt and washer. To me that looks nicer than a bolt head and washer, stainless or otherwise. YMMV

scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
G Henslee

I won't use brass or galvaniged hardware for anything, espically in the basement or bathroom. If I'm going to go through the trouble I put in stuff built to last, which does not include things made with flimsy coatings like brass or galvanized hardware. I don't like seeing rust all over stuff.

Reply to
scott_z500

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot on the flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or replace the flange. While you're at it, you should replace the wax ring as well. Just remember to not over tighten the flange bolts and crack the porcelain. If that happens, you'll need a new toilet. I always press the bowl onto the wax ring with my body weight, hand tighten the bolts, and give maybe a 1/4 -

1/2 turn with the wrench but not much more. If the floor is not level (low spots, etc), I have seen plumbers set the toilet into a bed of plaster spread around the flange. The plaster will level out the unevenness and help keep the toilet fairly level until the plaster sets up. Most properly installed toilets will move a bit if pushed with enough force, you just want a good seal between the toilet and the flange. Just remember not to over tighten the flange bolts, less is definitely more in this situation.

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

Irregardless of the looks, I still won't put in stuff that's not built to last like brass or galvanized hardware. I might consider the brass stuff if it were solid brass, but tha brass coated stuff is crap.

Reply to
scott_z500

Brass is an alloy, not a coating.

Brass bolts won't rust. That is why they use brass in thru hull fittings on boats. It is even more corrosion resistant than 316 stainless, especially in warm climates.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Brass does not rust and is not a coating.

Reply to
Andy S

Maybe in the past brass was solid, but most of the brass items I see in the stores is brass coating, even hardware. Don't believe me? Try hitting it with a wire brush. My car is loaded with these crappy brass coated bolts. If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that it's brass coated.

Reply to
scott_z500

Try any marine supply store.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Go to your favorite plumbing or home store, Home Depot will work fine. Go the plumbing aisle..look for toilet bolts aka Johnny bolts. Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass" Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated" problem solved

Reply to
Mikey S.

True....thoes are brass 'coated'. Any plumbing section in a hardware store will sell solid brass flange bolts for toilets. Thoes will not rust.

Reply to
Andy S

"Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass" Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated""

I have the feeling that when I go looking I'm likely to find brass looking unmarked bolts.

Reply to
scott_z500

Try hitting it with a wire brush.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

or a magnet.

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

You know what happens when you ASSume....

Reply to
Kathy

Bronze, not brass. For salt water at least. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, zinc gets eaten up by electrolysis, what's left isn't pretty.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

As others said, brass won't rust. Not the way you mean. Neither will galvanized steel as long as the zinc is in place. Hot dipped stuff is good stuff; electroplated, well...