Toilet bolt replacement

Page 1 of 2
Do I have to remove the toilet to replace these bolts? They are all corroded and I want to replace them with stainless steel ones...
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Yes, and exactly how you do it will depend upon the type of flange that is under there. You will not know until you actually lift it off.
Might be better to leave well enough alone.......
Jim
"Might be better to leave well enough alone"
I would just replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel, but the toilet rocks, so presumably at least the one that fell into the hole needs a new washer and nut. I figure as long as I'm buying parts I can get enough for both sides so that they both look nice.
Can I even get toilet bolts in stainless steel or will I have to use regular stainless steel bolt if I replace the bolts. I know toilet bolts look different...
I've always used brass toilet bolts ( get them anyplace toilet parts are sold) and never had a problem, they might come in stainless but those would be tough to cut off at the toilet after you install them and even tougher to get out later if you had to remove the toilet. So I suggest brass. Change the Wax ring while you have the toilet off of course too.
Total investment for this job should be about $5
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Brass is an alloy, not a coating.
Brass bolts won't rust. That is why they use brass in thru hull fittings on boats. It is even more corrosion resistant than 316 stainless, especially in warm climates.
Travis Jordan wrote:

Bronze, not brass. For salt water at least. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, zinc gets eaten up by electrolysis, what's left isn't pretty.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Oops - my bad. You're right, of course.

Brass does not rust and is not a coating.
Maybe in the past brass was solid, but most of the brass items I see in the stores is brass coating, even hardware. Don't believe me? Try hitting it with a wire brush. My car is loaded with these crappy brass coated bolts. If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that it's brass coated.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Try any marine supply store.
Go to your favorite plumbing or home store, Home Depot will work fine. Go the plumbing aisle..look for toilet bolts aka Johnny bolts. Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass" Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated" problem solved
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

True....thoes are brass 'coated'. Any plumbing section in a hardware store will sell solid brass flange bolts for toilets. Thoes will not rust.
"Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass" Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated""
I have the feeling that when I go looking I'm likely to find brass looking unmarked bolts.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Try hitting it with a wire brush.

or a magnet.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

You love making problems for yourself, don't you? Take a freaking magnet with you.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
"You love making problems for yourself, don't you? Take a freaking magnet with you. "
Will a magnet attract solid brass?
In so far as me making problems for myself. I actually reduce problems for myself by using quality stuff when I make repairs, so I don't have to do them over repeatedly. Just getting good quality repair parts for houses is difficult because the mass marketers mostly stock cheap crap and builders and contractors use only the cheapest quality available (unless it effects it's appeareance) and most homeowners don't know any better and just replace in kind.
Since I started using stainless steel hardware I don't have rust or stripped heads, or heads the break off screws.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

No. Zinc either. But you aren't likely to encounter brass plated pot metal bolts :)
nope..take a look, you will clearly see the better ones are labeled Solid Brass.
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com