Toilet bolt replacement

You love making problems for yourself, don't you? Take a freaking magnet with you.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I wonder if he could get a stainless steel flange? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Oops - my bad. You're right, of course.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Or a brass coated one?

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

Flange bolts are made with a special head to slide into the flange. I doubt that you will find a SS model.

If you choose to disregard the correct advice others have given, I hope you are the person who has the pleasure of sawing your overdone bolts out when the time comes that it has to be done.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"You love making problems for yourself, don't you? Take a freaking magnet with you. "

Will a magnet attract solid brass?

In so far as me making problems for myself. I actually reduce problems for myself by using quality stuff when I make repairs, so I don't have to do them over repeatedly. Just getting good quality repair parts for houses is difficult because the mass marketers mostly stock cheap crap and builders and contractors use only the cheapest quality available (unless it effects it's appeareance) and most homeowners don't know any better and just replace in kind.

Since I started using stainless steel hardware I don't have rust or stripped heads, or heads the break off screws.

Reply to
scott_z500

To go with the stainless crapper.

Reply to
G Henslee

You mentioned "looking nice", so I was referring to the covers atop the bolts, irregardless of what they're made of. To me they look nicer and more sanitary.

As for the "crappy coated" brass bolts, they will more than likely outlive you or your use of the terlet.

scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
G Henslee

If ever there was a thread where the expression "gilding a turd" applied this is the one!

I've never had a problem with brass/bronze toilet hold down bolts themselves. Over the years most of my angst over toilet hold downs has been caused by cheap thin steel toilet flanges. If there's any moisture around, even that caused by washing the floor around a toilet that's not bedded on plumbers putty, the steel disappears from galvanic corrrosion where it's in contact with the brass bolts, and the heads of those bolts pull right through it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

No. Zinc either. But you aren't likely to encounter brass plated pot metal bolts :)

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

nope..take a look, you will clearly see the better ones are labeled Solid Brass.

Reply to
Mikey S.

Solid brass toilet bolts (snap off). $1.73 at lowes.

Gina and Les Armstrong