Time for Mr. Woodchuck to go

Page 2 of 4
in part:

I tried a few seconds with Google, and that appears to me to be a "long gun" resembling a rifle. New Jersey has a law against carrying even so much as an unloaded .30-06 in the trunk of a car?
Although I am aware of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)
saying that New Jersey gun owners are required to get a purchase permit (good for life) to purchase handguns, rifles or shotguns.

Don Klipstein wrote:

It's the same crime. The determination is in the "eye of the beholder." If the victim thinks you have a gun, as far as the law is concerned, you have a gun.
A finger-in-the-jacket is an "armed robbery" if the victim believes you have a gun. If you pass a note to the bank teller saying "Give me the money or I'll shoot you," you have committed an "armed robbery."
In the specific case of New Jersey, however, it doesn't make any difference at all:
"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile, ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.
I think rubber-band guns are okay.
HeyBub wrote:

Good reply..note that "elastic band" guns are "firearms" under NJ law (4th line from bottom). I think that rubber-band guns would be included under them. The bastards that write this tripe don't miss a trick.
I wonder if blow guns are "firearms" because they are propelled by your breath which contains CO2 :^).
EJ in NJ
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:01:13 -0700 (PDT), Pat

A straw is a Pea-Shooter. Shoots small beans or peas. Spit balls are a single page of writing tablet that sticks to the blackboard.
Paper clips and rubber bands, they call your mother!!

So it sounds to me that in NJ, committing a crime that violates state laws with a BB gun amounts to committing a gun crime. That sounds fair to me.
Meanwhile, it appears to me that a BB gun that resembles a rifle is no worse regulated or restricted in NJ than a real rifle is.
And it appears to me that the lifetime firearm purchase permit that NJ requires probably applies as stated by Wiki to pistols, rifles and shotguns - as in "real guns" as opposed to everything that if used to commit a crime in NJ would make the crime a "gun crime".
Don Klipstein wrote:

Different strokes...
Here in Texas you can walk down the main street in Houston carrying a rifle or shotgun, or drive around with one in the rear window of your pickup. You can buy and own as many guns as you want, no registration of a person or weapon is allowed.
There are more cats in the United States than dogs, but fewer cat owners. That's because you can't have too many cats. It's the same with guns; there are (estimated) 240 million guns in the U.S., but most gun owners have more than one. If my family is representative, there are about 2,488 actual gun owners in the country.

Does this mean your family owns a goodly 96,000 guns?
I thought most American households with guns had a gun count that can be counted on one hand, and close to half of American households had at least one gun.
I think that burglars and home invaders would feel safer if only 2,488 homes had gun owners as opposed to close to half.
Don Klipstein wrote:

I've got 9 rifles including all the socially incorrect ones: AR-15, AKS, SKS, Mini-14 "assault rifles", a "sniper rifle" (Remington 700 BDL), a couple of full sized battle rifles (Mauser and Lee-Enfield), plus a smattering of other types. Of course, I neither assault nor do I snipe.
I own 2 twelve gauge shotguns.
I own 5 pistols of varying calibers.
I have never shot anyone nor even pointed a gun at another person. I have had my life saved twice by my weapons over the years. Just the fact that I had one deescalated the situation to nonviolence.
Is my situation typical? I have no idea. I don't know what my neighbors might have. They don't have a clue what I have.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd wrote:

I have a theory about guns I call "The Porpoise Problem."
No one doubts that the porpoise is a swell friend of mankind. This is based, partly, on the fact that since man has been going down to the sea in ships, a passing porpoise has towed a hapless sailor to the nearest land. Countless similar tales of porpoise rescue have been recorded in the annals of seafaring. Hence the notion: "the porpoise is your friend."
We never hear about the cases where the porpoise towed the unfortunate bloke farther out to sea!
So it is with guns. We hear, often in 144-point type, about the horrors involving the misuse of firearms. But we seldom hear about the problems prevented or the lives saved.

Many animals injured by idiot hunters die in silence also.
TMT
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Judging by their complete lack of civility (i.e., profanity in blogs), their agitation at rallies and speeches, and, for some, their past histories of bombings, not to mention drug use, I suspect you're on to something.
Since they (liberals) appear to want mandatory government health care, can we inject em all with some heavy medication? Send em all back to the stoned sixties in tie dye shirts and stark raving munchies?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I know a pharmacy (that usually compounds substances for use in horses) that I'd recommend.

I think that the courts in NJ are reasonable enough to throw such a case out.
Should the charge be a felony one, I think even a juvenile can get a jury trial especially if "charged as an adult". And I suspect that the jurors will find in favor of the defendant and against the prosecution for wasting their time by calling them onto jury duty for such a matter.
Here, it's a local law, and for good reason. Even in the most spacious of neighborhoods, houses are still 100-200 feet apart. Anyone who thinks of plinking varmints in such an environment is a moron. That's why it's so much fun to read threads like this one. Morons are entertaining, at least until they shoot a neighbor, which eventually they will. The preponderance of stupid hunting accidents is proof of this fact.
Disclaimers: - I own guns. - I don't hunt, but I know some perfectly safe & smart hunters.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So far as I can see, the only "moron" to check into this thread is someone who ASSumes that everyone else lives in a place as crowded as where he lives.
For all you know MKIRSCH1 could live in Death Valley.
EJ in NJ

I'm not about to go back and check, but in previous incarnations of this discussion, others have opined that they probably wouldn't hit their neighbor. If it's being discussed, it's a risk. How far can a .22 fly, in your opinion?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

maximum distance of about one mile on level ground. This is fact and printed on most 22LR boxes. When it came down (after a mile flight) it is doubtful if it would have enough energy to injure anyone. If the rifle were pointed horizontally as in shooting at something on the ground, the range would be more like 600 to 900 ft. If someone shot a 22 CB cap (which I discussed) horizontally, the range would be more like 100 to 150 ft. The practical range where someone could be injured by the CB cap is about 50 ft.
EJ in NJ

Just wanted to be sure we read the same 22LR box and we were functioning in the same reality.