A woodchuck under the trailer

I've got two access holes (about 6 or 7 inch diameter) leading under my trailer. Finally saw a woodchuck, or groundhog, crawling under the trailer.

I'm not all that pleased with the idea. How to take care of the critter? Living in a mobile park, firearms, handguns, grendades, dynamite, and anthrax spores are discourged. Though, high power lasers may be acceptable if used during the daytime.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Live trap em' and take them to the park.

Steveo

Bow and arrow?

I spent years trying to protect my garden from woodchucks. The best defense was fence material installed about 3' around the garden AND horizonally around the garden. To that I had to add an electric fence, battery operated, about a foot off the ground. That worked quite well but cost around $60. That makes the veggies a tad bit expensive!

I located the holes, there are always at least 2, and filled them with alternate layers of plastic shopping bags and egg-size gravel. The nasty criters have a hard time digging through the layers.

No wood chucks have been seen in over a year!!! Good luck

Reply to
Stubby

Try praying that it will leave.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Or spray it with holy water...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Suggest you move. The woodchuck always wins. LOL I'm currently using a hav-a-art trap with some success but a DEC person told me it is illegal to transport them so I still have to shoot them (in the trap) and put them in the garbage. A neighbor suggested I gas them (in the trap) with auto exhaust.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Send a contingent (2) of your missionaries under there with tracts in hand. The woodhcuck will haul ass and never return.

Reply to
G Henslee

Would that I could -- at least move to some place legal to shoot the critters.

Illegal to transport? That's a new one on me. My Dad tried to "get the squirrel out of the yard" with a havhart trap. And a friend of my Dad's tried shooting the squirrel. The friend is a military vet, and lives in the country. Dad quit after some number of squirrels, and the other fellow quit after 300. Neither made much progress.

Now, if they coulda been selling the tails for a buck a piece?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had other suggestions, such as lime, concrete, and smoke bombs. Will certainly try a mixture of these ideas.

Thank you for a great idea, about the shopping bags.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

True in the People's Republic of Mass.

Reply to
Stubby

Try changing it's capacitor....No doubt you'll f*ck the job up and kill it.

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

OK ....

That one is just PURELY gonna leave a mark !!!! :-)

You know where to send the keyboard ......

( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online

pjm

B-Hate-Me posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I don't know... it's HIS trailer. Think he knows enough to not screw his own stuff up? I would think he would capture it with a robe or aim the comet at it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Give it some Kool-Ade?

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

(Illegal where I'm at - MI)

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Speeding or spitting on the sidewalk may not be legal either, check your laws..

Reply to
Steveo

Speeding and spitting are more likely to be civil infractions. The trapping of wild animals in one area and then taking them somewhere else is a misdemeanor (at least here in MI).

Other than that, your argument is weak. Lots of things are against the law. That doesn't mean that laws are to be ignored.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

A local radio guest named "the trapper" suggests killing them in the hole and then closing the holes with whatever you have on hand. His method consists of attaching a sock to the end of a length of stiff hose and forcing it down the hole, then, first pour sodium hypochlorite, bleach, down the hose followed by ammonia down the hose. The resulting gas, chlorine, is heavier than air and will find its way to the bottom of the hole and kill the critter right there, saving you the trouble of disposal or burial. I've used his method and it works. Use common sense and avoid inhaling the vapors.

-- Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

Heh, leve the groundhogs under your trailer then.

Reply to
Steveo

A live trap and a sweet potato. They can make interesting pets. I had a client that had one that would come in the house through the cat's door and open the refrigerator to get at the vegetables. Whenever a stranger came it would hide in the closet.

Reply to
wcrbudox