Time for Mr. Woodchuck to go

On the box, they used to say that a .22 bullet out of a rifle can travel a mile and a half.

My opinion says about a mile and a half.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If *any* round entered my property line, a lawsuit would be the least of a shooter's problems. Punishing stupidity is extremely important in terms of keeping the gene pool scrubbed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OK. Now, it would help if some of the great hunters in this discussion would reveal the distance to their neighbors' houses.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

For me, about thirty feet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Save me having to review 419,000 messages. Are you one of the great hunters who thinks he can use a .22 in your environment?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Right up until the point he became destructive. Besides, we are further up the food chain than he is.

So what? We're talking about a shed, remember?

Yes, I'm a gun owner too. How is it that you use yours "daily"? I don't even handle one of mine on a daily basis, much less "use" it, and I have a concealed carry permit.

You'd beat your neighbor senseless but you advocate a green solution to the woodchuck problem? I'd be concerned if I heard gunshots next door but the last thing I would do is go confront the guy. If he caused damage, call the cops. If he hurt somebody, call the cops. I'd only confront him if there were still incoming ordnance to stop the threat.

Me? If I had this guy's problem I'd probably try to dispatch the critter with an air rifle. Less chance for collateral damage.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd

I've got 9 rifles including all the socially incorrect ones: AR-15, AKS, SKS, Mini-14 "assault rifles", a "sniper rifle" (Remington 700 BDL), a couple of full sized battle rifles (Mauser and Lee-Enfield), plus a smattering of other types. Of course, I neither assault nor do I snipe.

I own 2 twelve gauge shotguns.

I own 5 pistols of varying calibers.

I have never shot anyone nor even pointed a gun at another person. I have had my life saved twice by my weapons over the years. Just the fact that I had one deescalated the situation to nonviolence.

Is my situation typical? I have no idea. I don't know what my neighbors might have. They don't have a clue what I have.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd

on 4/22/2009 8:14 AM (ET) JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

...or apartments.

Reply to
willshak

I'm surprised nobody has brought up .22 rat shot. Close up it hits as hard as a CB cap but 30-40' away it will barely penetrate halfway through a corrugated box.

Reply to
gfretwell

The rat shot won't do much damage to the Woodchuck at more than a few feet. Too hard to get that close to one. Even the larger shot from a 38 caliber shot shell will not be effective at more than a few feet.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have a theory about guns I call "The Porpoise Problem."

No one doubts that the porpoise is a swell friend of mankind. This is based, partly, on the fact that since man has been going down to the sea in ships, a passing porpoise has towed a hapless sailor to the nearest land. Countless similar tales of porpoise rescue have been recorded in the annals of seafaring. Hence the notion: "the porpoise is your friend."

We never hear about the cases where the porpoise towed the unfortunate bloke farther out to sea!

So it is with guns. We hear, often in 144-point type, about the horrors involving the misuse of firearms. But we seldom hear about the problems prevented or the lives saved.

Reply to
HeyBub

Of course! Takes some planning, know your backstop, and be willing to pass up an unsafe shot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen those little shells, with what looks a bit like a pill capsule for a projectile. I doubt they will do any useful damage on a woodchuck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a CHL holder, you are no doubt aware of all the legal ramifications of your shot. In the current case, suppose there was "collateral damage." For instance, a toddler 300 yards away playing with a kitten in his backyard sandbox (the child's sandbox, not the kitten's).

When the cops arrive, you tell them the groundhog attacked you, pointing to a torn pants leg. In fear of your life from a possibly rabid animal or one infected with chastic fibrosis (a disease usually found in foxes), you discharged your weapon and, at the last millisecond, the groundhog ducked!

Since there was no showing of negligence, combined with the compelling exigent circumstances, the regrettable attendant death can be a degree of homicide no greater than excusable, for which there is no penalty.

Reply to
HeyBub

AKA the Jimmy Carter "killer rabbit" story.

Reply to
gfretwell

Years ago there was a case where a man shot a 22 rifle at the lake surface.

The bullet went TWO MILES entered a moving car through a small window and killed a girl.

The man went to prison for manslaughter..for decades.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yeah. OK.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I agree...and only if there are no other options available.

There are plenty of options available here.

And plenty of posters who sound like they are lucky if they know which end of the gun is which.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I remember something like that happening in New York or New Jersey and it wasn't a 22, it was an M-1. A guy fired the rifle out on a bay and the bullet skipped across the water and entered the right rear window of a young woman's car striking her behind the ear. If her window had been rolled up, the bullet would not have hit her. The story I read was about the detective who solved the unusual case.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So you are willing to wound an animal?

Either do one shot, one kill or do nothing.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools