Time change due

They might just good and crawl back into their Y2K bunkers, if they found out. That, and the other news.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't wear a metal watch, my sweat destroys them and I could get zapped sticking my hand in a piece of equipment. My brother got his metal watch and band between the positive battery terminal and ground on a tractor we had on the farm. Got himself a nice decorative brand.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They don't let me work on machinery any more, but I can't stand having anything on my wrist, so I don't wear one. I keep a cheap Timex in my briefcase for the very occasional days I have to be someplace on time, and I'm hanging out in an place without clocks. It lives right next to the pre-paid semi-disposable cell phone that I turn on to check messages once a week (if I remember.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My red-headed sister could not wear a watch. They always lost time, etc. She called it her "electrifying personality".

Reply to
Oren

Damn, I missed that but it certainly must be valid.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

As for confusion, try working out near the International Date Line. I spent 18 months in far out Aleutians where our work was in Zulu time so the date changed at 11 am....or was it 1pm? Add in almost 24 hour dark or light and things really got confusing. I once came in from shift, flaked out, woke up clock said it ws time to get up for next shift. Wandered totallyi deserted hallways for awhile before I figured out I had only been in bed a hour or so.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Maybe he is actually in NJ? Years ago when Saturday Night was actually funny the news segment had a number of clocks on the wall with NY and other times. NJ was always (I think) 20 minutes behind everyone else.

Reply to
George

I think it is a conspiracy! They change the time in the summer so that the politicians can get an extra hour of golf, by making them open an hour earlier! LOL

Reply to
Dymphna

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

re: My cats know what time it is

Yeah...it's *their* time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, Another useless American invention. Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the house twice a year is a chore for me. My watches are radio controlled so it's automatic.

Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early or late if we have to shift time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The metric unit of time is the second (the same one hypercomplicating people use). No other units may be used, just metric prefixes.

some conversions:

1 Kilosecond (KS, 1*10^3) = 16.7 minutes 1 megasecond (MS, 1*10^6) = 11.5 days 1 gigasecond (GS, 1*10^9) = 31.5 years 1 terasecond (TS, 1*10^12) = 31.5 millennia

1 millennium = 31.5 GS

1 decade = 315.5 MS 1 year = 31.5 MS 1 month = 2.63 MS 1 week = 604.8 KS 1 day = 86.4 KS 1 hour = 3.6 KS

The author of this message is approximately 1.56 GS old.

Reply to
Harry L

The year 2038 problem has the potential to be far worse than Y2K ever was.

Reply to
Gary H

I used to know someone who fed his dog at the same time every day. Then DST came. The dog was hungry. THE DOG HAD IT RIGHT!

BTW, this year has 13 months in it rather than the usual 14*.

  • - A part of the mess that is DST.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That makes sense (as a reason for DST), considering that politicians are too stupid to notice that (an extra hour of light) isn't what happens.

Reply to
Sam E

It does give you an excuse to set the time right (which I always do, not just adding or subtracting an hour) twice a year. Of course the trouble it gives more than makes up for that.

The obvious thing to do, even on Lord Howe Island.

I'm working on a clock and countdown webpage (using PHP). Doing so requires learning a lot about timezones and such nonsense. Lord Howe Island (located near Australia). It observes Damn Stupid Time like a lot of places, but it is the only one where the DST offset isn't 1 hour. It takes a couple extra lines of code just for that little place.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Mon 12 Oct 2009 12:39:48p, Gary H told us...

As a systems analyst and engineer, I understand the problem. However, if I live until 2038 I will be 93 years old, and I doubt that I'll care. I also doubt that I'll live that long. :-)

I spent 3 years prior to Y2K managing a Y2K remediation team for one of the largest metropolitan counties in the US. We addressed virtually any type of device that could be affected, which ranged far beyond computers, per se. It was very interesting work.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

A funny story I heard back then was Russian designed computers had no Y2K issues. Something about them being hand cranked.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Mon 12 Oct 2009 05:51:37p, The Daring Dufas told us...

LOL!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

For that matter, Greenwich England is no longer on Greenwich Time. In fact aiui none of England is, because they lost 2 hours a day of commerce with Europe. So they changed to some time most of Europe uses.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yea, ughhh, I think their time is now in Euros.

Reply to
Red Green