Time change due

Page 3 of 3

They might just good and crawl back into their Y2K bunkers, if they found out. That, and the other news.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The year 2038 problem has the potential to be far worse than Y2K ever was.
On Mon 12 Oct 2009 12:39:48p, Gary H told us...

As a systems analyst and engineer, I understand the problem. However, if I live until 2038 I will be 93 years old, and I doubt that I'll care. I also doubt that I'll live that long. :-)
I spent 3 years prior to Y2K managing a Y2K remediation team for one of the largest metropolitan counties in the US. We addressed virtually any type of device that could be affected, which ranged far beyond computers, per se. It was very interesting work.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

A funny story I heard back then was Russian designed computers had no Y2K issues. Something about them being hand cranked.
TDD
On Mon 12 Oct 2009 05:51:37p, The Daring Dufas told us...

LOL!
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Oren wrote:

The whole time change thing is silly. As if we could change the rotation of the earth.

Just for fun...here's a little history on the subject, although it might be bent in the direction of the group advocating the suspension of the time change.
http://www.standardtime.com /

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game? Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.

re: My cats know what time it is
Yeah...it's *their* time.

I used to know someone who fed his dog at the same time every day. Then DST came. The dog was hungry. THE DOG HAD IT RIGHT!
BTW, this year has 13 months in it rather than the usual 14*.
* - A part of the mess that is DST.

Mark Lloyd
Oren wrote:

An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time it is."
TDD
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:39:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas

So do the roosters.
The last watch I had on was 7 years ago. Don't need one.
Oren wrote:

I can't wear a metal watch, my sweat destroys them and I could get zapped sticking my hand in a piece of equipment. My brother got his metal watch and band between the positive battery terminal and ground on a tractor we had on the farm. Got himself a nice decorative brand.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

They don't let me work on machinery any more, but I can't stand having anything on my wrist, so I don't wear one. I keep a cheap Timex in my briefcase for the very occasional days I have to be someplace on time, and I'm hanging out in an place without clocks. It lives right next to the pre-paid semi-disposable cell phone that I turn on to check messages once a week (if I remember.)
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:27:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My red-headed sister could not wear a watch. They always lost time, etc. She called it her "electrifying personality".
I think it is a conspiracy! They change the time in the summer so that the politicians can get an extra hour of golf, by making them open an hour earlier! LOL
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

That makes sense (as a reason for DST), considering that politicians are too stupid to notice that (an extra hour of light) isn't what happens.
Oren wrote:

Another useless American invention. Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the house twice a year is a chore for me. My watches are radio controlled so it's automatic.
Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early or late if we have to shift time.

It does give you an excuse to set the time right (which I always do, not just adding or subtracting an hour) twice a year. Of course the trouble it gives more than makes up for that.

The obvious thing to do, even on Lord Howe Island.
I'm working on a clock and countdown webpage (using PHP). Doing so requires learning a lot about timezones and such nonsense. Lord Howe Island (located near Australia). It observes Damn Stupid Time like a lot of places, but it is the only one where the DST offset isn't 1 hour. It takes a couple extra lines of code just for that little place.

Mark Lloyd