Real time NG meter change

My neighbor is away at his cabin. I noticed a truck parked out front. Went to check on what was happening.

The company was changing his gas meter (and mine today). I asked if any pilot lights had to be re-lit. He said no, that he uses a small tank to keep them lit.

Is this something new or has the method been around for awhile? I've not witnessed one replaced like this before.

Reply to
Oren

Did you watch? How exactly does he tap the "small tank" into the service fast enough that the pilot lights don't go out?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 9/11/2012 12:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

It generally will take seconds to (low) 10s of seconds for a pilot light to use up all the contained gas before going out if gas is removed from a relatively distant source...shouldn't be any trick at all to make a temp connection in that time.

Reply to
dpb

What about the gap between the old gas and the new. i.e. an air bubble? Does the new gas fill the pipe fast enough for a continuous flow?

What happens if they don't get it connected in time? Nothing in this world works 100% perfectly 100% of the time. With modern appliances, there shouldn't be a problem other than no pilot light, but what if a house still has some really old appliances where the pilot light gas is not monitored or - even more possible - a burner was on, the gas went away and then came back on after the burner went out.

Wouldn't that be an issue that the meter guy wouldn't even know about?

Reply to
DerbyDad03