Time and a half for over 40 hours

Page 5 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Fine. But I wasn't speaking of what is, "requireed by law". Some companies set up firing boards to protect their heavy investments in training employe3es and then having them fired by straw bosses for no good reason. these are not required by law, but a wise move by employers to protect their investments in skilled employees.

GOOD thing.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes. Especially if it happens too often. but, I have to say, that bossing is a much different skill than doing the work, expecially in a highly technical job. I was a skilled worker, and I had several different bosses. Some of them were pretty bad. But they had a difficult job, (one that I wouldn;t want to do) so I gave them a lot of slack, and managed to put up with some of their failings. After all, this too is part of doing a difficult job. Even now that I am retired, I run into some band directors in persuing my hobby that I think could use a lot of improvement. But if I was asked to do their job, I would turn it down, so I put up with their failings too....:^)

difficult!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes. That's where you get all the blame for things that happen over which you had little or no control. Its the exact opposite of being a building inspector, who has a lot of power, until something goes wrong, and then he takes no blame for the result. - But they can be sued. We had a new bus terminal develop cracks and be condemned here in Salem. The building inspectors passed it off before the damage was observed, and now they are being sued. - I love it.....:^)

| [christmas presents]

circumstances.. Constructive dismissal is one. Charges of wronfull dismissal can be levied against the employer in this case - but you must quit soon after the incident in questio. You may have put up with the boss's BS several times - and then when it happens again you pack your bags, walk out, and notify the department of labour and/or your lawyer.. If he's been a prick for 2 years, then everything settles down for a few months, it would be hard to claim "constructive dissmissal" of you just decided you had had enough without a trigger event. For the "canadian"situation, see http://www.levittllp.ca/article-misconceptions
Also see: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/termination.php

There is no reason you *should* be able to "do" anything about it. What are you proposing to "do" about it?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I'm not propowint to do anything about it. Someone else was worried that his wife's or girlfriends boss would let her go for some non job related reason and was asking what he or she could do about it. I havfe been retired for 16 years now and don't have those kinds of problems anymore... but, in the past, I have had similar problems with idiotic bosses..... I usually found that the best thing to do was leave and find another job. Even if one were to bring their case to court and win, then they are going to have to work under a pissed off boss for the reat of time. IOW, there is no good solution to the problem. In the old days, things were a lot worse than they are now. I let it slip to a prospective employer once who I had worked for before, and he contacted that person, who (of course) told him not to hire me. You live and learn....:^)

That question was about OT, not layoffs.

Certainly right.

Why should you even be able to sue? It's their job. If you're not the right person for it, for *whatever* reason, why should you be there? It's *not* your property.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Well, as a libertarian, I sort of agree with you. but if they fired you because of your skin color, (for example) they would be in big trouble. So there are exceptions, and many of these came about during my working life, which started back in the 60's when I got out of the Navy.

These are exceptions even in at-will states. Note that they don't mean anything, though. A person can still be let go for no reason, just one of a few proscribed ones.

Since you mentioned "labour" laws, I'll assume you're not a left-pondian. In the US, it's not considered OT until 40hrs in one week. ...and that doesn't necessarily include vacation/holiday time (8 hours holiday + 44hrs work = 48hrs straight pay + 4hrs OT).

That's jurisdiction dependant, here. Some states are "at will" states. Anyone can be fired for any reason (other than the typical discrimination of protected classes), or no reason. Others make it (only) slightly more difficult for employers.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

In a truely capitalistic system, no company would want to get rid of a productive employee that they have hired and trained to do their job and who does it acceptably well. Most companies have a review board that that oversees requests to let individuals go. but in small businesses, the only review board is the owner of the business, so if he wants to rid himself of you, you have little choice but to leave.

That's true in a not so truly capitalistic system.

Most? Hardly. Most are small businesses that don't bother with any such thing.

As you should, if he's not happy with your performance for *WHATEVER* reason. It *is* his business. If he's a fool, he'll shortly find that out, too.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yes. I have known businesses that were only in business, apparently, to spend their benefactor's money, and expected to go out of business. (The owner was cheating his backers) And, of course we all know about drug sellers who operated businesses as a front for their drug selling operations.

I told my niece to just keep good records of the days and hours she works and just see how things go.
I was asking her how she liked her new job, and she says she likes. She mentioned that she keeps quite a large amount of start up cash. She says that if the delivery trucks will take cash, they pay them in cash. hummmmm.

There are many reasons for that. Mostly it's done by businesses that can't get credit from their vendors. Sometimes it's so the money can go underground but it's not often that blatant.
On 4/5/2013 4:20 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Good business. If they have a lot of cash customers they need to pay the bank to take it. So when a vendor delivers something you pay them cash and get a receipt.