ticking vent

Some of you may remember the saga of my stove that the home warranty company bought. The stove is in and works fine now. But there is something else that has become quite annoying related to it.

This stove is a downdraft stove with the vent in the middle of the cooktop. A hose attaches underneath the stove to a blower fan that sits underneath the stove and exhausts through the floor to an exhaust vent on the side of the house. The outside vent is made of plastic and has a damper that is constantly flapping when the blower is not on. It sounds like a ticking time bomb inside the stove!

Obviously air is getting sucked out through the stove vent to the outside, even when not running. If I replace that outside vent do you think the same thing will happen again? What's the right way to stop this air leak other than putting a cover over the stove vent?

Reply to
badgolferman

I have a round vent that angles up and when air goes out it pushes a cap up, then when off it falls back and seals air tight, its actualy a dryer vent made of plastic, it should work but will need to be kept degreased.

Reply to
ransley

My damper to the furnace exhaust flaps from time to time, but there is a soft rubber cushion around the seal to dampen the sound. Trying another vent assembly is a good idea--you can slip it into place and wait a day to screw it in place or return it.

Reply to
Phisherman