Three-way switch with on/off indicator

The switches with the indicators are readily available? Do you know where?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Sure enough. At the very end of a long list of features it says "Grounding terminal is standard." but it doesnt' say a ground is required for the light to go on. And it doesn't say you don't need one either. And it doesn't say antyying about how the circuit must be wired. I woudln't know whether to buy this one or not. OTOH, it says flat out "Lighted when switch is ON." Would they say that if it depended on the circuit? I hope not.

Reply to
mm

That will work.

Reply to
Jan Philips

I don't know about that. One of the switches is near the light, the other isn't. The one far away is the one that needs the indicator.

I think I can replace a switch if that is all I have to do. Beyond that, I don't think I can do it.

That makes sense and that will do the job.

Reply to
Jan Philips

That looks what I need - not cheap though.

Reply to
Jan Philips

That is one of the places I looked online. The website said that they were illuminated, but it didn't tell if it went off when the circuit was on.

Reply to
Jan Philips

well you could put a transfomer on the lightbulb side and run low voltage indicator lights wherever you want

Reply to
hallerb

No, the OP's question was:

"Are there three-way switches that have indicators (e.g. a light) that tells you whether the circuit is on or not?"

It still "tells you whether the circuit is on or not". The neon is lit when "not".

Maybe if you read the question as asked...

Reply to
krw

Why bring the OP into it? Michael's question is quoted above.

Reply to
J Burns

There are light switches that have a separate light. They fit a duplex outlet plate and I believe the switches are available in three way.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because I'm getting lost in references?

Reply to
krw

I got one of those from Hope Depot. For this application I'd rather have ON/ON and OFF/OFF, but this was $6 vs. $40 for the other type that I saw.

Thanks to everyone.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Used to have a neon pilot mounted on the switch plate of the basement light switch in the old farm house. It was a PILOT light - on when the basement light was on. Big flickery old neon bulb - NE0010 if I remember correctly.

Didn't flicker nearly as much on 60hz as on the old 25Hz from the Niagara Adam Beck #1 station.

Reply to
clare

You missed the last line on the spec sheet -"Strap nickel-plated steel with integral ground. "

The ground is required for the pilot to work.

Wire it as a standard 3 way and you should be fine - I was not aware Pass & Seymour was marketing them - not a common hardware store/big-box item - and not even on the shelf at our local electrical supply houses.

Reply to
clare

"if you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first quality price. Oats that's already been through the horse come a bit cheaper"

Reply to
clare

The neon light I was talking about lighted with the light on - but I was under the impression it required a separate dedicated neutral. Apparently just a ground is legal.

Reply to
clare

Cooper Wiring Devices 294LA-BOX Three Way Switch & Red Neon Pilot Light

Reply to
clare

Not the OP's question. Michael's question, which was all that Gordon quoted.

But that's not relevant to Michael's question.

Sarcasm!

Reply to
mm

But isn't this two separate things on one strap and it's up to the user to make sure it works the way he wants it to?

Three Way Switch & Red Neon Pilot Light No promises. No statement that the neon light goes on when the circuit is on.

Break off provision for wiring on same circuit or separate circuits

Reply to
mm

That's as I understand it too, as long as it's in the leakage range.

Reply to
krw