Three-way switch with on/off indicator

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Evan

I don't know about that. One of the switches is near the light, the other isn't. The one far away is the one that needs the indicator.

I think I can replace a switch if that is all I have to do. Beyond that, I don't think I can do it.

That makes sense and that will do the job.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Pilot light switches are lit when the circuit is on, and illuminated switches are lit when the circuit is off. They make 3 way pilot light switches, but you'd need to check how the circuit is wired to determine if one will work in the desired location. Here is a link to one type of pilot light 3 way: http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/PS15AC3-CPL/3-Way-Clear-Pilot-Lighted-Toggle-Switch---Lighted-When-ON.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=PS15AC3-CPL&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PS15AC3-CPL

Sure enough. At the very end of a long list of features it says "Grounding terminal is standard." but it doesnt' say a ground is required for the light to go on. And it doesn't say you don't need one either. And it doesn't say antyying about how the circuit must be wired. I woudln't know whether to buy this one or not. OTOH, it says flat out "Lighted when switch is ON." Would they say that if it depended on the circuit? I hope not.

You missed the last line on the spec sheet -"Strap nickel-plated steel with integral ground. "
The ground is required for the pilot to work.
Wire it as a standard 3 way and you should be fine - I was not aware Pass & Seymour was marketing them - not a common hardware store/big-box item - and not even on the shelf at our local electrical supply houses.

That looks what I need - not cheap though.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

well you could put a transfomer on the lightbulb side and run low voltage indicator lights wherever you want
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:52:03 -0400, Jan Philips

"if you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first quality price. Oats that's already been through the horse come a bit cheaper"

Jan-
Based on my experince installing light 3 ways at the bottom & top of the stairs......
Both are lit when the controlled light is off both are unlit when the controlled light is on
These were just regular old lighted 3-ways from Home Depot (Leviton 5503-LHW)
Available in lots of place; prices range from $10 to $20 I would suggested just getting one and install it in the location desired.
cheers Bob

That is one of the places I looked online. The website said that they were illuminated, but it didn't tell if it went off when the circuit was on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I got one of those from Hope Depot. For this application I'd rather have ON/ON and OFF/OFF, but this was $6 vs. $40 for the other type that I saw.
Thanks to everyone.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 12:22:13 AM UTC-4, Jan Philips wrote:

This topic came up again, and a Search on this topic brought up this old th read. I could not find a 3-way switch (current sensing) that did not require a pi lot light wire for installation at the feed/hot (master) switch. Easy enoug h at the load/slave switch, but the extra wire for a pilot light is not sta ndardly run, so if you are doing a retrofit, the standard lit when on switc hes (eg Leviton 56-38-2W) won't work. I found a solution that requires a bi t of tinkering, CR Magnetics (model CR 2250) uses a current sensing transfo rmer with self powered LED. For the trigger current based on your load, jus t add wraps of the hot through the hole and around the transformer. drill a 1/4" hole in your cover plate, and snap in the LED. Add conductor as neede d for the wraps, and wire nut to the feed. Note that the LED saturates at t he trigger current, and will take up to 20 amps AC being read, so there is no problem if you set for LED current, and incandescents are later put in. This solution will work with any switch configuration (3-Way, 4-Way). For s ingle pole, standard pilot light switches are the easy solution (eg Leviton 5628-(color)). The CR 2258 is .32" thick, and so can be fitted in the J-Bo x behind the switch.