Thinking of putting up second fence

Page 1 of 5
Hi
I just bought a new home in a new Development. I moved in 1 month before my neighbor on the right moved in. When I found out that the neighbors moving in owned a fencing company I decided to wait for their home to be finished building and for them to move in before putting up a fence. I thought once they moved in we can discuss and talk what kind and color fence to put between our homes. Once they moved in we talked for about 5 minutes about what kind of a fence and color.
Now my house is Light gray brick in the front and white siding and his brown brick and brown siding. He decided on putting up a frost or wired fence. but he chose brown for it. For my house I think white would go perfectly. anyhow I mentioned to him why not black this way it will go with his home and mine since black would match his brown house too.
Anyhow not 3 days later I left for work and he put up his brown fence anyways. I called my kids at home and told them to pass the phone to them and told them I would not pay them anything for the fence since the color was not what I wanted. He said fine don't worry about it.
I was and still am pissed. He put the fence right on the line of our land. My question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side ?
I am planning on putting up my own fence on every side of me now. No more Mr. nice guy anymore. People have said to me its his house he can do whatever he wants so therefore I am going do whatever I want too.
SO question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side and does it look stupid ? I was thinking of putting a wood fence 5 foot high with a mesh of a foot on top for a total of 6 feet. his fence is 5 foot tall. This way he will have his nice brown fence that matches his home and then see my wooden mesh of a foot above it.
I am not at war with him. I smile and talk very polite with him. But wait till he sees what I'm goning to install and i'm going to do it when he is at work to.
Anyhow I would like to hear your opinions on this situation. and if anybody else has been in this situation and what did they do.
thanks very much
joeway
Paint your side white.

my
brown
but
anyhow
mine
stupid
mesh
at
anybody

YOUR side is on YOUR property. Paint it any color you like.
A second fence would be unnecessary, as you already have one there. And trash and leaves would get caught there. It would be a booger to paint.
Steve
Its a frost fence Can we paint it?

giga wrote:

After it thaws throughly. WTH is a frost fence?
lol its the chicken fence (chain link fence) they call it frost here

giga wrote:

Unfortunately, painting one side of a chain-link fence does not sound practical...
I would not put up a second fence, though. What he did definitely sounds rude, but putting up a second fence will only hurt you in the long run. Maintenance would be a real pain.
It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required? Make sure you check any local regulations about fence height and distance away from property lines, if you do decide to go with a second fence.
Gray/white/brown is actually not a bad combination... I would let it go, if I were you. It's not worth the aggravation.
Good luck.
-- Jennifer
In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 14:03:52 -0700 "Jennifer"

I agree. The paint will be pushed around and run down over parts of his side and his side will look terrible. The other guy's side. It will be vandalism without permission, preferably signed. And a painted fence will require repainting. Doesn't this brown fence have the color well stuck to the fence?

I don't know if that is true, but I also woudn't assume the OP is right that it is on the property line. It could be a quarter inch on his side. Another reason not to paint it without his permission.

Now that yoe mention it, I agree. And brown always goes with hte outside, becuase the dirt is brown. Brown and green are my favorite house colors, inside and out.
My inclination was to want the white fence, because he wanted it, but if I were in his shoes, I realize now that I would get brown, in fact the exact same fence that the neighbor put up, because I think it is more important that the fencees match than that the fence sort of match the house.
I made sure that my next door neighbor got roofs at the same time from the same guy, same color, no seam down the middle; and now that he wants vinyl siding, I'm considering getting it too so the houses will still match (and I'm a little tired of painting.)

Simple solution: Plant vines that will attack the fence.
Kudzoo is good.
Steve

What he gonna do, Jennifer? Make the neighbor move it? This mess is carved on stone. Or, concrete, to be precise.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Er, did I piss you off somehow?
It wouldn't be the first time a fence was moved. I actually asked because one of my co-workers was recently complaining that his township made him tear down his fence because it was too close to the sidewalk and six inches too high.
Sorry to offend. (?)
-- Jennifer
Jennifer wrote:

Possibly but not likely. Some folks like to put up their fence a little inside the property line, and "damn the neighbor". Common fences are built on the line. Or what is believed to be the line in some cases. it's nice and prefered I suppose when a common fence is commonly acceptable to both neighbors.

That's my job. He just takes out his frustration on everyone else.
Jennifer wrote:

That's just Dougie, Jennifer... :(
You're entirely right and if the OP really wants to be a prick about the deal, that's he's recourse (if there is one) to make the other guy go to a lot of trouble (over, imo, nothing). But, if he (OP) is so upset as it sounds like, his choices as I see it are either a) do nothing and seethe eventually suffering ulcers and a heart attack, b) check on zoning/subdivision requirements and see if he can start a war legally, or c) grow up and "live and let live".
He taked to the guy for "5 minutes about fence and color" and expected that to have become a binding contract? With that description of the conversation I doubt he even couched it in a form the other guy thought was anything more than a "What ya' goin' do, eh?" kind of thing, what less a formal request for a cooperative arrangement.
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:18:29 -0500 Duane Bozarth

If he had to move the fence, there isn't a chance in hell the new one would be a different color from this one. In fact it probably would be this one, but maybe not, for one reason only. The man *owns* the fence company.
In fact, if he had to move it, he would likely write it up as a mistake of the fence company, or of the owner, which the fence company chooses to fix for free, and that way it would be a deductible business expense, and if there is a corporate income tax in Quebec, the cost would be deductible from the gross profit of the company. I don't think that would even be improper.

I agree.

Very good point. Maybe he wasn't avoiding an argument so much as he thought there was nothing to argue about. He's thinking: "the other guy seems to like black, but it doesn't seem that important to him. .... No, I definitely don't want black. We'll go with brown like I've wanted from the beginning."
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Yeah, he sounds like the neighbor from hell, a total ass. His neighbor even didn't make him pay for his half of the fence. If he can get so wrapped around the axle on such a minor point I am glad I don't live next to him, I'd probably wrap a 2x4 around his head before long.
Harry K
Just for your information i dont give a rats ass that i didnt pay for the fence.
If you feel all joyous and gleeful when you save 500.00$ by not paying for half then thats you poor man.
Explain to me now why if i put my fence up meaning i do just like he did right? Why am i wrong and asking for a war? He put his fence up without consenting me so why can't i do the same without conceting him. Oh yea i will just tell him you got a free second fence since i dont want you to pay me half for it. I waited for him to move in not to save money but to be a good neighbour and maybe do it in a cival way. you people don't understand the principle do you? He just fucked me ...i could have put up my own before he moved in very easily but i ddint out of respect for my future neighbour but hey what i did was bend over and take it deep in the ass for trying to be a nice guy.
This isnt a a yard to keep horses in its a small 55 feet 50 feet yard we are close to each others homes. so therefor his brown fence is 8 feet from my white home. looks great for his home though since his side is brown. So again why does he get the matching fence with his house and i don't ? then again why can't i do the same so it looks good for me and put up my own fence?
OH YEA I REMEBER CAUSE I DIDNT PAY FOR IT HAHA. OK NOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I CAN GET BACK TO JERKING OFF ON THE MONEY I SAVED FROM NOT PAYING FOR HIS GOD UGLY BROWN FENCE AND INVITE HIM OVER TO HAVE BEERS. LOL
Then after thats done i grab a 4x4 and instead of wrapping it around your neck i shove it up your ass.
joeway

says...

Um - what's changed is that there is now a fence. Your neighbor gets no benefit from a fence behind it. (Although he may get some amusement...)

*He* doesn't know for sure that you waited just to save money.
*You* offered to pay half, but only if you could get the color you wanted. He decided "no deal".

Wow. Calm down.
Yes, you could have put in a fence, all painted white, or black, or whatever. You didn't. Life's like that - the crystal ball hasn't been perfected. But, a little life-experience should have informed you that whoever your neighbor would be, he or she may or may not sign up to your color preferences.

It's a brown fence. Like 90% of the fences around here. White and brown seems reasonable to me. It's not purple polka-dot. It's brown.

Wow. And you're going to now try to convince me your'e the reasonable neighbor.
Banty
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

No, not at all? I'm still in "argue with my home office" mode. Sorry. :-)

I don't know if they need to get building permits in Quebec. If yes, it seems unlikely that the inspector would not have looked at the survey.
This is all conjecture, obviously. :-)
says...

I'd bet pretty good money that a fencing contractor by trade would know enough to check with the town ordinances (or whatever governing body applies) as to what the fencing requirements and restrictions are.
In my town, we're allowed to fence on the property line.
Banty