there are rotating outlets advertised in Home Depot's web site

And one dollar store nearby has been selling prong converters, in either direction, for a dollar. They were also available cheap at one other store near me, and maybe for more money at a luggage store.
When I was abroad, they were also cheap, maybe 80 cents, at a hardware store, but first I had to find a hardware store. In two months I only saw two of them. I didn't stay at one -- I stayed in a dorm for two months at 12.50 a night -- but I wonder what they cost at a 5-star hotel.

No, the big advantage of wall warts is that the manufacturer can buy them with whatever compliance/safety certifications are necessary for the intended market and *greatly* simplify product compliance. It's still not free, but the difficulties are *greatly* reduced. The WWs spread these costs over kabillions of units.

Such wall warts already exist. They have replaceable prongs and are often sold with a kit for all major markets. We use this sort for our products that are sold internationally.
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 05:54:43 -0700 (PDT), Chris Tsao

This is an apartment building. It doesn't say UL-approved. Why not? This is what it does say. Is this enough to guarantee it won't fail and cause tenant damages, or to prevent a lawsuit?
It says * Assembled Depth (in.) : 1 in * Assembled Height (in.) : 4.5 in * Assembled Width (in.) : 2.72 in * CSA Listed : Yes What is the CSA? Confederate States of America? Do they have any money anymore? * Color : Ivory * Color Family : Beige/Bisque * Color/Finish : Ivory / Gloss * ETL Listed : No What is the ETL * ETL Safety Listed : No What is the ETL * Electrical Product Type : Outlet * Energy Star Compliant : No * Grounding : Isolated Ground * Hospital Grade : No Hospital grade is more than you need, and it's not that. * Indoor/Outdoor : Indoor * Item Weight : .22 lb * Manufacturer Warranty : 2-Year Limited * Material : Plastic * Maximum Amperage (amps) : 15 A * Maximum Voltage : 125 V * Motion Sensing : No * Number of Outlets : 2 * Number of Switches : 0 * Outlet Location : Wall * Outlet Type : Duplex * Product Depth (in.) : 1 in * Product Height (in.) : 4.5 in * Product Weight (lb.) : .225 lb * Rotating : Yes * Rotating : Yes * Safety Listing : Yes What kind of safety listing? * Surface Mount : No * Tamper Resistant : No * Voltage (volts) : 125 V * Wall Plate Included : Yes * Weather Resistant : No

http://www.csa-international.org/product/Default.asp?language=english
Intertek corporation's listing ID. One of UL's competitors.
http://www.intertek-etlsemko.com/portal/page/cust_portal/ITK_PGR /
I believe it used to stand for "Electrical Testing Laboratory", or some such.

They told you above; CSA.