The PURPOSE of alt.home.repair

Page 1 of 2
It seems that alt.home.repair has become a newsgroup to discuss everything EXCEPT home repair topics.
Alt.home.repair *IS NOT* the place to post politics, gun control, current events in the news, sexual preference issues, religion, terrorism, personal attacks on others, and so on.....
There are newsgroups specific to these topics. for example, try alt.politics.xxxxx alt.religion.xxxxx and so on. A good catchall group for all of these topics is: alt.current-events.usa
--

Alt.home.repair *IS* a place to discuss all repairs and construction of
homes, garages, sheds, yard care, lawn mowers and other small engine
On 6/15/16 9:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.anon wrote:

literally for years how they should change their ways to suit you. THAT's not gonna happen. Especially to the pussy that won't sign his or her own name.
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 11:22:37 AM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

I've been "around here literally for years", actually "literally for decades".
I think you'd agree that the percentage of on-topic vs. off-topic threads has seen a major reversal, especially most recently. I actually remember a time when the off-topic stuff was few and far between the home repair posts and not vice-versa like it is now.
I was extremely liberal in counting off-topic discussions in a.h.r, even allowing automotive repair, cell phone backup programs, etc. to be considered *on*-topic since they at least have something to do with "repair" - if you really stretch the definition. A full 50% of the most recent 60 threads are 100% non-repair related.
You people who have been "around here literally for years": Think back, is that what a.h.r looked like back in 80's and 90's? Not to my recollection.
On 6/15/2016 10:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The people who've been around here for decades are now getting up there agewise. What we're seeing is the typical behavior of cranky old farts who won't shut up and won't change the subject.
Tl;dr: "Grandpa's yelling again."

Exactly.

Moe DeLoughan posted for all of us...

That is correct, but we shared our knowledge freely. Now posters need a porthole to go through. They want information handed on a silver platter to them without doing any kind of basic research; which is MUCH easier today. We had to crawl through and around the web to find answers which were usually hosted at educational institutions at blazing speeds. If one needed drivers, instructions you had to find a site that would host them. Present posters don't even bother to look at the item packaging for the site. How many times has "How do I mount an electrical outlet; ground up or down?" "I only have two wires how do I get a ground?" on and on... I could do without the politics and other distractions. Sometimes it's the only thread worth following. I only come here when able usually not every day. I will then try to read the original post and then the voluminous off-topic replies. If I do reply then I am criticized for not keeping up. Users used to be lucky if the hosts allowed six simultaneous connections. Busy signals and failed connections were common.
--
Tekkie

<Whiney stuff snipped>

When I think back our country isn't what it was 30 or 40 years ago either. That is truly a shame. This group, not so much.
Kurt V. Ullman posted for all of us...

I resemble that remark. I have never denied it but my opinion is as valid as yours.
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:36:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.anon wrote:

If you don't like it here get the hell out. I used a slightly kinder four letter word because you haven't REALLY pissed me off... yet.

But you're workin' on it.
After serious thinking snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.anon wrote :

My democracy is broken, does anyone have any handy tips for me to repair or replace it - it an old model from the late 1700's. TIA
Okay, I get it, I'll stop.
snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.anon wrote:

I'm sure you can provide a link to a charter that supports your claims. I'll wait

You were way too kind.

Aw shucks, I was just asking for the facts, sir. Something these whiney bastids can never do, as you have documented : ) I can still hear the crickets
On 06/15/2016 07:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.anon wrote:

+1
On 16/06/2016 09:13, Dot wrote:

Instead of whining, is it too difficult for you to ignore the posts you don't like?
On 6/16/2016 5:35 AM, Bod wrote:

. . .Or start a thread that you consider appropriate to the group's charter? A lack of activity seems to "invite" OT posts in this and other groups. Still, "Delete" keys are on your keyboard for a reason.<g>

.. lack of activity does not invite off-topic crap .. - quite the reverse. John T.
On 06/16/2016 04:35 AM, Bod wrote:

Lead by example, practice what you preach!
| It seems that alt.home.repair has become a newsgroup to discuss | everything EXCEPT home repair topics. |
Thank you for your efforts, but as you can see from the responses, there's little civility or even common sense to be found. And it's getting worse. Old men, acting like children who need a diaper. But there's no one in charge and they seem to have not been raised with the basic ideas of courtesy and consideration for others. So it's a case of pearls before swine.
I regularly consider just dropping this group altogether. As it is I'm blocking a number of regular posters. (Not even "trolls". Regulars!) Yet I still see more nonsense than discussion. I stick around only because I might be able to offer useful help to the occasional person who happens by with a real question.