OT How to backup Android phone to PC, without using Google.

Has anyone used anything other than Google to backup Android phone data?

Has anyone use Wondershare MobileGo or MobileTransfer? Do you know the difference between the two? They give you 4 days to decide if you like it, before you have to pay, and I can't tell if I like it.

Reply to
Micky

There is a Samsung utility that I use but it has been a while because I really don't have much on my phone to back up. It might be just as fast to simply pull out the SD card and plug it into the PC.

Reply to
gfretwell

And hard to imagine you'd have to pay for a utility when there are plenty of free apps.

Reply to
trader_4

The Samsung utility is free on their web site. I think my wife uses the google thing tho. She lives in the clouds anyway. I am hard wired.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was using one of the free backup apps. Then a while back I had to wipe and restart the phone, so I lost it and never put it back. It backed up stuff to wherever you wanted it to go, including email. That's about all I care about and that doesn't change much for me these days, so the old backups are still good. For pics, I have Dropbox on the phone that automatically uploads and syncs pics with my desktop, so those are always backed up.

Reply to
trader_4

On the old phone, which is the one I have to get the data off of, there is so little memory I haven't been able to install any apps. The ones I mention above install in the PC mostly, although I think they put something small in the phone.

After I posted I kept working and while I was able to back up the contacts, photos, one video, and app data, it was all put in one .bak file. So I separated each category and backed them up, but when I looked inside the contact file, there was nothing legible. and when I used 7-zip, which apparently extracts files even when they aren't in compressed files, it wanted a password, which Wondershare hasn't given me and hasn't made any reference to.

So it seems like it is just for copying to anotehr phone, which is something they push. But they also refer to backing up, even though they don't say how. Aspects of their webpages are the vaguest, most confusing I've ever seen.

Reply to
Micky

Can you clarify what kind of backing up you're talking about? It sounds now like you're talking about transfering data from one phone to another, which is a bit different. To do that you could probably use a USB cable, assuming you know what you need to move over and it's in the same format. Another kind of backing up is to have an app that automatically backs up your phone, in various ways, to either the cloud, or sending you an email with a file that has your contacts, to synching with your PC and cloud using Dropbox, etc.

Reply to
trader_4