The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed

Page 2 of 4

can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed:

Bummer.

That was just a dice roll.
On Tue, 21 May 2013 07:15:58 -0500, Vic Smith

Not even a good one.
On May 21, 11:14 am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

anyone try a briggs and stratton gas tank lid? oce I accidently swapped a gas can lid with my engine lid, the threads were the same.
I only found the problem when the engine quit, since gas cap lids have no vent.
but after seeing gas cans very big from pressure a vented one appears a good idea. my cans live in the shed.
On Tue, 21 May 2013 11:14:04 -0400, krw wrote:

Well, the *theory* was that Hopkins bought all the molds from the now-defunct Blitz company *except* the gas-can molds, but, the (bad) roll of the dice was that the caps *might* fit.
Clearly they're not even close. :(
I'm still waiting for my replacement caps from the other order.

I would *never* have expected a container that was used to hold a toxic and dangerous chemical to be the same as one used for potable water. Pipe and fittings for flammable gas and liquids are intentionally made so they can't be confused.

If they're intended for gasoline containers, I'd give them a *much* better chance of fitting. If they're meant for other liquids, not so much.
On May 22, 5:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Same story. The old style spouts fit the old style cans, they will not fit the epa type. EPA knew we would be trying that.
Harry K
Home made scofflaws making gasoline can spouts. What is this world coming to. On so many levels. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Now that there are do-it-yourself manufaturing of plastic parts machines readily available, maybe someone will come up with a design for a cap with the needed thread dimensions and make it available on the internet. If they can illegally make crappy-firing guns that way, they should be able to make a gas can cap, legal or otherwise..
On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:02:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

When they make it illegal to own gas caps and toilets, only criminals will have gas caps and toilets.

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:07:43 -0400, krw wrote:

I have a secret plan to own what may be illegal!
I was told by the Plastics Group of Willowbrook, Illinois today, that *nobody* bought the gasoline can molds from the now defunct Blitz USA of Miami Oklahoma; but, at the same time, we are aware that Hopkins Manufacturing Corp. of Emporia, Kansas paid $14.6 million for everything *but* the gas can molds.
That means, if we're lucky, that the Hopkins Manufacturing *water* jugs might use the *same cap* as the Blitz USA gasoline cans!
To find out if that's true, I ordered a set of water jug caps from Hopkins Manufacturing today.
Cross your fingers and maybe they'll fit!

Highly unlikely. They would not adapt their own products to what they purchased.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 05:02:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Not bloody likely.

You do not want FDM parts for a gasoline container. I don't recall the gasoline resistance of PC or ABS off the top of my head but FDM by it's very nature will have to be thick to prevent fluid and vapor from passing through it. Also it will cost more than simply buying a new plastic gas container.
And the FDM gun is just nonsense. People with skills and specialized equipment could always make their own firearms.
On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:06:06 +0000 (UTC), Brent

Cost isn't the issue.

Sure, but try telling a statist gun grabber (anything).
On 05/14/2013 02:06 PM, Brent wrote: <snip>

indeed. you have afghans in caves making the real deal with little more than primitive tools and crappy materials - it's simply absurd to try and demonize a set of technical skills. unless you're a political sociopath, but that's another debate.
--
fact check required

Because criminals always care about paperwork laws. LOL.
The homemade gun has been around since there have been guns. It has never been a problem of any significance. Why? Because someone with the marketable skills required to make a firearm does not need to be a criminal, is unlikely to be one, and criminals can get manufactured firearms with less effort and cost.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 16:23:23 +0000 (UTC), Brent

Yup. Most people won't spend a year or more writing a novel when you just buy one for a few bucks. In most places in the U.S. I can legally traffic in guns, buying and selling with criminals, crazy folks, and terrorists. It's all legal. No need to make a gun.
Per Oren:

I took the whole thing as more of a proof-of-concept demonstration than anything of actual utility.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 5/13/2013 7:54 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I have purchased those but they are useless on the new and improved cans which have a different thread size.
Their web site prominently notes that:
"EZ-POUR REPLACEMENT SPOUT KIT IS DESIGNED AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT PARTS SPECIFICALLY FOR PORTABLE FUEL CONTAINERS MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 2009"
On Tue, 14 May 2013 06:45:18 -0400, George wrote:

This could be due to one of two possible reasons: 1. It could be legalese (as previously stated), or, 2. It might actually be the wrong threads.
I'll try calling Blitz again to see if they changed their threads: Blitz U.S.A., Inc., 404 26th Ave. NW, Miami, OK 74354
Unfortunately, the Blitz USA hotline is out of commission: 24-hour Consumer Service Hotline at 877-922-5489 So is the Blitz local telephone number: 918-540-1515
I'm going to have to order a few caps just to see if they fit. I may also buy the water jug caps, to see if they fit.
If anyone has *already* tested the cap, it would be nice to see if they fit.
Maybe someone can test them side-by-side in the store? (I'll check out my local stores to see if they have both the water jugs and the gasoline jugs to test.)