That'll be 69 dollars

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

I worked at a car dealership that could find at least $1,500 worth of warranty work on the first checkup whether it was there or not.
Know whut uh mean, Vern?
Steve
Well, we've heard lots of opinions, and of course you know the old saying about anal passages, and everybody having one, etc.
None the less, and this is fact that no one can deny, or debate. Dealers nowadays have absolutely no scruples. They screw you to the tune of whatever price they feel like that day.
Evidently, in the original posters case, there sure couldn't have been much at all wrong to get out of the dealership with a $69 Bill, which probably was just a charge for 1 hour's labor.
No parts at all were needed, and as I previously said, what was most likely done, was the battery was disconnected for 30 seconds, and the "Service Engine Soon" light went off.
This is typical of GM ECM Computers.
Fact is, if you're running gas in your vehicle that was bought when Hurricane Katrina hit, don't figure your gas to have any real Octane left in it, and I'm gathering that this may have been the case with the OP. Shitty Gas will cause your DashService light to come on.
My ex-wife's 92 Town Car was like this, that anytime you disconnected the Battery, the Digital Display on the Dash would go awry.
First time the dealer soaked me $140, the second, $72, and at this visit, the Shop foremen let me in on a little tip, to just pull fuses #1, and #4 on the fuse block to clear the situation. It "only" cost me $212 to find out this little trick at the Freakin Ferd Dealer.
Granted, a "check engine Light" could be much more serious problems, but for those who lack any sort of mechanical expertise-knowledge, and/or are perhaps too lazy to pop the hood, and check basics, wel then the dealer is your only hope. Fact is, even if you owned a brand new Mercedes, this is no assurance that you're going to be trouble free. It's a fact of life with owning a motor vehicle. Mark

Old dirty sign that's been at my mechanic's shop for twenty seven years that I know of:
"If it's got tits or wheels, sooner or later, you'll have problems."
That's called "selling warranty" and Ford (the only one I know about) will kick a dealerships ass if they find out about it. If we had a car in the shop and found something wrong with it under warranty, we were to ignore it unless it was a safety issue. Just take care of what they came in for, was the rule.
Oh, and BTW, the warranty claims are where the dealerships make most of their money. Customer pay tickets are just a small portion of the shop work now days.
--
Steve Barker

"Steve B" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message

That particular dealership also had a used car side. One day, a buyer drove his new used car home. Soon after that, he just happened to meet the man who traded the car in. The two talked, and the buyer bragged about what a deal he got on a low mileage car. The previous owner advised him how many miles were actually on it when he traded it. The buyer and the trader went to the car lot, and had a pow wow with the managers. Shortly after that, the man picked up a new pickup with no payments.
The dealership was notorious in the town. Mainly on their service department and used car lot portions. Shortly after I left, the economy in the area went into the dumper when the oilfield was deregulated in 1980, the owner died, and the dealership changed hands.
I'm sure there are still a few around, though. I know there has been a lot of local TV on repair shop and quick oil change franchise ripoffs.
Steve

If it make you feel any better a local mechanic (not dealer) charged the wife $150 just to reset the check engine light - nothing else was done to her car. My usual mechanic wouldn't have charged her but she saw this wonderful add on the paper. Anyway, the check engine light came on again but this time I have the Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader on order form Amazon.com.
Capri wrote:

"Stuck wiring"?
WTF is that?
Did they at least grease it up so it won't stick again?
I think it was more than the wiring which got stuck.
Next time wear a condom.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

GMs used to read out the computer error in flashes of the check engine light. I haven't seen one in a couple years but all you used to need was a paper clip to jumper out two pins on the plug under the dash.
Did you think it would be free?

I mean really .................
The mechanic has spent years of his life, scraped knuckles, burns, bumps, money for schools, money for additional model years, thousands for tools, a lot for the computer analyzer, and a ton of money if he owns his own shop.
Just how much does he think he is "entitled" to?
How greedy can one human being be?
Steve

Buy a $100 code reader, it'll be the best investment you'll ever make for that truck. Mine has paid for itself many times over, loaning it to friends, using it for tune-ups. Just remember, every car and truck made after 1996(?) uses that code reader, and cars made after a certain date (2008?) will use a different code reader, so the dance with the dealer continues.

Consider you got a bargain. A full diagnostic can be $150, especially at a dealership. Check Engine lights should not be ignored.
Check Engine lights should not be ignored.
I just bought a Dodge pickup for $38,500. The check engine light came on at 7,500 miles. I checked the manual, and the manual says that the lights don't always mean that something is very wrong, or that you cannot continue to drive the car. In my case, it was a reminder to change the original oil, and the cars are programmed that way. I did learn how to reset the light, though. And if you reset the lights, and you have a problem other than just a reminder light, the light will continue to come on, indicting you need to take it in and get it read.
I'll be getting a reader and saving money. Plus, I have a mechanic that I trust, so he checks it for free, and fixes just what is wrong.
Steve

Stop and think for a minute. In the old days, problems could fester and develop into major disasters without warning. If the problem didn't happen to make a loud noise, you simply didn't know about it. That check engine light, (connected to a fuckin' computer) let you know that something was wrong. It could be any number of things. Would you prefer the indicator known as "Stranded in the middle of nowhere late at night in a thunderstorm"? You can safely bet that a tow truck will charge you more than $69 just to show up.
So then you go to the dealer, who DOES FIND AND FIX a problem. (stuck wiring, whatever that is - most wires are there dfor a reason, and that one might have been capable of burning up a wiring harness or worse) Without that "fuckin' computer" the mechanic might have spent many hours trying to track down an intermittent problem. The bill would have been considerably higher than $69. Maybe 10 times that amount.
In other words, you should be very thankful for "fuckin' computers" and especially thankful for that incredibly measly repair bill.
CWM

Well......you know the old saying.....if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em (for about the price of two trips to the dealer):
http://www.fixdat.com /