Thank You, Lowe's

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

This company I worked for was sold to another one, and it was a riot to see how much the new place appreciated the employees. A memo came out detailing how to account for your hours. For instance, resources who worked a half day should put down 4 hours.

Resources. I gather they couldn't muster up the will to admit we were humans.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

My Drill Sgt., after being (Army) drafted in '70; called us all "green maggots". We BELONGED TO THE GOVERNMENT.....

-- Oren

Oren

Haven't you heard the NV Senator, state "un-documented Americans" or words to that affect?

-- Oren

Oren

Corporate-speak is irritating as heck......."interface", to me, is like scraping fingernails across the blackboard. "I'm going to interface with Joe about the budget." I'd rather just talk with Joe :o)

Reply to
Norminn

"Norminn" wrote

Corporate-speak comes about when people try to puff up their daily routine. If you talk to Joe, how does that look on your status report? But if you *interfaced*! wow ... you must be management material.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I've had a lot of fun over the years. Each time a new _BOSS_ transferred in. If he liked to bowl, the employees bought bowling balls. If the boss played volleyball; everyone just had to attend. These folks transformed into what ever this boss was..

So; one day I asked, "what are you going to do if the person is a homosexual?"

-- Oren

Oren

If a person who illegally comes into the country in violation of our immigration laws is an "undocumented worker" does that make a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't think I've ever negotiated an insturment at the bank.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The dozen packs of condoms?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Highway Person (notice the political correct word "Person" instead of using Man or Woman)

Final Resting Place Excavators

Sanitation Engineers

I caught that also... sounded like one of "Those Types" that would play the Race Card at the drop of a hat, one of those types that sees Racism in every word that everyone says. There's a politically correct word for them also..... I just have them automatically purged (political correct word for KILL FILED) via the Forte Agent Filter machine.

Regards,

Reply to
Stan

Not good for "Associates" or "Resources" working for Assholes, Pricks or Dush Bags.

Reply to
Stan

ROTFLMAO.

Laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

It's amazing how fast a thread can get hijacked....

Is this what you need?

Any Ace Hardware will have, or can get it for you. If they d> Had a little shopping venture to get supplies for a couple of projects.

Reply to
toolguy

I've kind of followed the thread but almost forgot about the window thingy. No, this isn't it, but thanks very much for trying. The thingy I want is much flatter, no visible spring, and as far as I know was used only for old wood storms and screens.....two thingys at the top to hang them and then just snap shut the thingys on the sides to hold them flat. Is the plural of "thingy" thingys or thingies? :o)

Reply to
Norminn

No, it's not. It's an attempt to encourage employees.

"Political correctness" refers to not insulting people. Originally Blacks, Jews, and Latinos, but now it's been applied to more people, including some that even more people still want to insult.

I don't know anyone who thinks that "clerk" is insulting, or even that Associate is less insulting or more non-insulting. But it's more inclusive-sounding.

Of course they are. You don't think I think otherwise do you?

Of course they can be, but the employers didn't change their term just as a matter of whimsy. Someone tried it out, or someone has looked into the matter and concluded that in fact, at least in the cases studied, at least at the beginning of this practice, before it was so common, they do a better job when called associates. People here complains continually about the quality of service at Lowes and HD, and this is one effort, whether successful or not, to get the clerks to do a better job.

Criticizing people who deride political correctness has nothing to do with whether the term Associate is good or bad. Because I don't think using Associate is an example of political correctness. You do, but I don't. So regardless of whether I'm right about that part or not, you can't fairly conclude I tied the two together that way, even if you would have been if you had made the same statements.

Reply to
nobody

Here:

Norminn

No. It is postmodern feminization of the culture.

Men label their employees by concrete actions: clerking, driving, managing. Work gets done. That's what counts.

Women label employees by their soft relationships: associate, representative, assistant. Actions don't matter as much as how you relate interpersonally.

This is how women can dominate men in the workplace. Men are bigger and stronger, so to weaken this male advantage, do not label jobs in terms of actions. Women are more physically attractive, so label jobs in terms of getting closer.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

We're not going to change your opinion, obviously, but I'm w/ Edwin--it's modern "politico-speak" sold by some enterprising MBA consultant and relying on the present trends which encourage such foolishness of presentation and appearances above and over performance and reality.

To you, maybe. To me it sounds pompous and ridiculous. A clerk is a clerk is a clerk whatever there origin. "A rose by any other name..."

Actually, he who doth protest too much comes to mind here...

"Can"??? I thought you were convinced they _are_ as valuable. Freudian slip, maybe?

And, you might be surprised at how easy it can be to convince management of the latest greatest theory in employee morale-boosting or other management practices. I can't recall the number or even the names now of all the management panaceas that came, one after another, during my career...from "Management by Objectives" on, there was one about every

2-3 years I would estimate, on average. This is simply the current fad.

Criticizing people who deride p-c which has run amok also seems to be p-c these days.

imo, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

Although I had promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this foolish "debate"... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Did my first post in thread go awry? I swear I posted a link to what you want at the top of the window.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I always hated when we ended up with upper level folks. It was often a toss of the dice, as to the type. We were a guest on an Air Force Base. One day I get called into the office of this "rookie" (my term). He tells me he wants a Draft Policy for our Emergency Plans for a "direct" Nuclear attack on the base. I let him gone on a few moments.

I really had to laugh out loud. Then I said; this will be very short. What do you won't me to put in it? Kiss your ass goodbye?

-- Oren

Oren