Thank You, Lowe's

Right you are........ I'm so tired of these political correct types coming up with these warm and fuzzy "New" words to make, as you said, "incompetent people feel [good] about themselves" or take attention away from the true filth of something by calling it something clean and sweet or call something by some new friendly name that has before been known as corrupt.
While I write this I hear one on a debate on network news between two politicians right now.... Some politician lying through its teeth while the other politician is saying that the other is "Deviating From The Truth". Wonder what its "associates" would think about that?
Regards,

I know; I hate that phony "courtesy" like poison, but it's the norm in the U.S. Congress. (Except when former Speaker Dennis Hastert told a colleague "fuck you" right on the floor of the House!)
It's a classic you-scratch-my-back; I'll scratch yours game.
By contrast, the British Parliament (I watch Question Time religiously) is raucous and undisciplined; lotsa fun to watch. Another difference is that the Brits can utter clear and complete English sentences; are not dependent on mumbling aloud what their aides wrote for them. (Gawd I hate those committee hearings. Someone said that one should not watch how laws and sausages are made.)
The Brits are also expert at delivering most delicious darts and ripostes, clothed in elegant but short, direct statements.

Why did you snip what I said in my first two lines? "The word has nothing to do with political correctness, as the phrase is used by either side. It has to do with maximizing profits, by trying to make the employees fell important." Do you disagree with any of that? You don't seem to.

I didn't say whether using the term "Associate" was good or bad. I don't know why you are arguing with me.
The rest of my post was about the origin of the term "political correctness", and people who attack any use of the term. It wasn't about possible specific current uses like the ones you list.

Making employees feel important by using special terms is another form of political correctness. Same thing, fancy words. Retail clerks are just as important as "associates". They are clerks, so call them that. Truck drivers, grave diggers, garbage men, are all importnat jobs that people do and they can be just as proud doing a good job as a banker or chemist.

You did say:

Now that sounds like you are voicing your opinion of people that deride political correctness. People like me. Perhaps you have a different meaning?

My Drill Sgt., after being (Army) drafted in '70; called us all "green maggots". We BELONGED TO THE GOVERNMENT....<G>.
-- Oren

Highway Person (notice the political correct word "Person" instead of using Man or Woman)

Final Resting Place Excavators

Sanitation Engineers

I caught that also... sounded like one of "Those Types" that would play the Race Card at the drop of a hat, one of those types that sees Racism in every word that everyone says. There's a politically correct word for them also..... I just have them automatically purged (political correct word for KILL FILED) via the Forte Agent Filter machine.
Regards,

No, it's not. It's an attempt to encourage employees.
"Political correctness" refers to not insulting people. Originally Blacks, Jews, and Latinos, but now it's been applied to more people, including some that even more people still want to insult.
I don't know anyone who thinks that "clerk" is insulting, or even that Associate is less insulting or more non-insulting. But it's more inclusive-sounding.

Of course they are. You don't think I think otherwise do you?

Of course they can be, but the employers didn't change their term just as a matter of whimsy. Someone tried it out, or someone has looked into the matter and concluded that in fact, at least in the cases studied, at least at the beginning of this practice, before it was so common, they do a better job when called associates. People here complains continually about the quality of service at Lowes and HD, and this is one effort, whether successful or not, to get the clerks to do a better job.

Criticizing people who deride political correctness has nothing to do with whether the term Associate is good or bad. Because I don't think using Associate is an example of political correctness. You do, but I don't. So regardless of whether I'm right about that part or not, you can't fairly conclude I tied the two together that way, even if you would have been if you had made the same statements.

No. It is postmodern feminization of the culture.
Men label their employees by concrete actions: clerking, driving, managing. Work gets done. That's what counts.
Women label employees by their soft relationships: associate, representative, assistant. Actions don't matter as much as how you relate interpersonally.
This is how women can dominate men in the workplace. Men are bigger and stronger, so to weaken this male advantage, do not label jobs in terms of actions. Women are more physically attractive, so label jobs in terms of getting closer.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

We're not going to change your opinion, obviously, but I'm w/ Edwin--it's modern "politico-speak" sold by some enterprising MBA consultant and relying on the present trends which encourage such foolishness of presentation and appearances above and over performance and reality.

To you, maybe. To me it sounds pompous and ridiculous. A clerk is a clerk is a clerk whatever there origin. "A rose by any other name..."

Actually, he who doth protest too much comes to mind here...

"Can"??? I thought you were convinced they _are_ as valuable. Freudian slip, maybe?
And, you might be surprised at how easy it can be to convince management of the latest greatest theory in employee morale-boosting or other management practices. I can't recall the number or even the names now of all the management panaceas that came, one after another, during my career...from "Management by Objectives" on, there was one about every 2-3 years I would estimate, on average. This is simply the current fad.

Criticizing people who deride p-c which has run amok also seems to be p-c these days.
imo, ymmv, etc., etc., ...
Although I had promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this foolish "debate"... :(

I always hated when we ended up with upper level folks. It was often a toss of the dice, as to the type. We were a guest on an Air Force Base. One day I get called into the office of this "rookie" (my term). He tells me he wants a Draft Policy for our Emergency Plans for a "direct" Nuclear attack on the base. I let him gone on a few moments.
I really had to laugh out loud. Then I said; this will be very short. What do you won't me to put in it? Kiss your ass goodbye?
-- Oren
wrote in message

Way to go Edwin!!!
How about undocumented worker. That would be an illegal alien.
This BS has to stop some where.
Colbyt
And be sure to tell your Senator how you really feel. One of mine is a weasel.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:22:15 -0400, "Colbyt"

Haven't you heard the NV Senator, state "un-documented Americans" or words to that affect? -- Oren
If a person who illegally comes into the country in violation of our immigration laws is an "undocumented worker" does that make a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

ROTFLMAO.
Laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.
I can sell you some good shit, man!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

This company I worked for was sold to another one, and it was a riot to see how much the new place appreciated the employees. A memo came out detailing how to account for your hours. For instance, resources who worked a half day should put down 4 hours.
Resources. I gather they couldn't muster up the will to admit we were humans.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

Corporate-speak is irritating as heck......."interface", to me, is like scraping fingernails across the blackboard. "I'm going to interface with Joe about the budget." I'd rather just talk with Joe :o)

Corporate-speak comes about when people try to puff up their daily routine. If you talk to Joe, how does that look on your status report? But if you *interfaced*! wow ... you must be management material.
nancy
I don't think I've ever negotiated an insturment at the bank.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.