termites

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:20:05 -0700 (PDT), coloradotrout

I use a perimeter spray around the house twice a year, keep the foundation clear and dry, quick inspection every month, wood piles far fromthe house, etc. I think hiring a pro is overkill, but that works too.
Phisherman wrote:

What spray do you use?
Chris

OthroClor (about $40), used as a preventative measure. I don't always use the same product, though.

As a former PCO I recommend and use Talstar on my own homes, strictly according to the label directions.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/cgi-bin/Pestcontrol.storefront/49c3b38106038a3e273f4200c15f062f/Product/View/I3983
That isn't a bad price, either.
A maximum concentration will contain 0.20% of active ingredient (bifenthrin, a pyrethroid). A higher concentration is not "better", it's just a waste of material. http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC32863
UV light is murder on all insecticides with which I am familiar, rendering them largely ineffective after only about 24-48 hours of exposure, so you'll want to hide it as much as practical.
Termites may infest a structure during the spring swarm via windowsills, so you might want to treat those.
An application of a 0.10% concentration every 60-90 days or so should offer adequate protection in Kansas, I think. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/cgi-bin/Pestcontrol.storefront/49c3b38106038a3e273f4200c15f062f/Product/View/I3983
How about Termidor? It has Fipronil. Government monitoring of tests 9 years old shows it still provides 100% protection.

How about treating wood with borates? Time and UV don't affect them.

I only became "certified" to apply Termidor because I had clients asking about it. I never failed to switch a client to baiting, so I never actually used it.
I doubt an application of much of anything is going to remain in place in uncontrolled environments for 9 years, and, rather than applying something with that degree of persistence, I'd prefer regular treatments of less persistent materials.
It also offers the homeowner more of a sense of security, I think.

Outside my area of expertise, so I couldn't say. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

Here's Griffin Exterminating's page on Termidor: http://www.griffinexterminating.com/Termidor.htm
I guess it reflects the opinion of these professionals who have their choice of products. They say U. S. Forest Service tests have shown it 100% effective after 8 years. They say it doesn't leech because it binds to soil. They're conservative like you. They say you can count on 5 years. (The instructions I got said to apply it in a trench. That would keep it out of the sun.)
Griffin says pyrethroids repel termites, and that reduces the kill. Termites don't avoid Termidor.

They're similar to borax, but the stuff for termites penetrates wood better. I read about them in reports of government tests against Formosan termites in Louisiana. Borates were the most effective wood treatment. They quickly eliminated a large colony for me.