Terminix system vs Sentricon termite baiting system

Page 2 of 2
You might want to look at my web page before deciding what to do. None of these systems do anything to "bait" a termite like a worm baits a fish. Termites forage randomly for food and have hit one of these stations by freak accident. I'd advise you to look at testing data that was not paid for directly or indirectly by the folks who make it or sell it. You may want to look into a full and complete (not perimeter only) termiticide treatment with Termidor. Tom Campbell www.campbelllitigation.com
snipped-for-privacy@campbelllitigation.com wrote: ...

OK, let's see what a few minutes can find out...
On the first claim I find w/o much trouble the following peer-reviewed publication abstract...
Cornelius, M.L. "effect of bait supplements on the feeding and tunneling behavior of the formosan subterranean termite (isoptera: rhinotermitidae).". International Conference on Urban Pests pp. 159-163. In C-Y Lee and W.H.Robinson (eds), Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Urban Pests, Singapore.
Interpretive Summary: ... An experiment conducted to examine the effect of water soluble chemicals extracted from SummonTM disks on tunneling behavior. Due to the influence of water soluble components of Summon, the average number of days taken for termites to discover pipette tips filled with material from ground-up SummonTM disks was significantly less than the average number of days taken for termites to discover pipette tips filled with red oak sawdust. ...
So, at least one system has a bait that is more effective than simply random foraging or even a supply of a normally pretty delectable wood source.
On testing, USDA reports in New Orleans the following
Riverfront Railroad, Levee, and French Market Corporation: A project was initiated in January 2002 with NOM&TCB and Dow AgroSciences LLC to access and then reduce the termite pressure along the railroad tracks and the adjacent levee planters along the French Quarter between the Mississippi River and the flood walls. ... 480 Sentricon Stations (Registered trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLC, Indianapolis, IN) were installed along the mile of track and on the levee around the wooden planters. ... This project is making a significant contribution to the ongoing efforts of termite management in the French Quarter. In 2004, there was a decrease in the total number of FST alates (winged termites) recovered from 42 glue traps in the Riverfront and French Market areas of the French Quarter. In 2003, 18,747 FST alates were recovered, and in 2004, 12,593 FST alates were recovered.
So, I must conclude there's direct evidence that there are baiting systems that are demonstrable to be more effective than no baiting and that there is a demonstrated reduction in termite populations after the deployment of the Dow Sentricon station.
Perhaps your url is indicative of a reason you'd like to claim otherwise...

Well, thanks to all for your responses. As my termite problem did not get any better in the interim, probably got worse if you ask me, I went with a local operator licensed for the Sentricon system. They are to install it in the upcoming week and monitor for the next 2 years.

Walter Cohen wrote:

--
What I know of Sentricon is essentially what I learned during this
thread -- I had heard of it previously but that was about it.

Yeah, if there's an infestation you need to cut off their supply of water, remove all wood that's already been infested (termites along with it), and then create an effective barrier that'll prevent them from coming back. When you say the company you hired is going to "monitor," you might want to check into exactly what that means.