Telphone Connection Myste

Billy:

B > I can't get a connection from my 2nd phone line and I'm baffled after B > troubleshooting using several methods. B > B > First, I went to the box outside and plugged in a phone tester tool and B > dialed a special number that identifies the number of the line. I B > successfully identified two lines and found that the red/green is the B > primary #, and the yellow/black was the secondary. I traced the one line B > that comes into the house from the outside box and this contains four B > colors. This one line splits into pairs into a screw block that splits the B > lines into two by using dual screw bolts that each pair is stranded into. B > B > Finally, I installed a brand new line from the block that contains the B > yellow/black to a phone jack and threaded it to the jack's yellow/black - B > but still no dial tone. B > B > Can you help tell me what I've missed?

Are you using a single line or two-line phone at that jack? If a single line phone you'll need to "transfer" Line2 to Line1 ==> move the black/yellow pair to the green/red leads. A single line phone is wired to the red/green pair (inner leads on the RJ-11). (Quite frankly I've forgotten which is the ring/tip equivalances. You've got a 50-50 chance of being right the first time and it won't hurt anything if you test it and it's backwards.)

  • Yo Mama's so old when God said let there be light, she flipped the switch
Reply to
barry martin