Television newsgroup.

Can anyone help me find a newsgroup with the following in mind.
I am in the market for a 46" LCD HDTV. I have identified the one I want. I have checked it out at Best-Buy, H.H. Gregg, ShopNBC and various on line vendors. Prices vary from $3000 (H.H. Gregg) to $2300 (Best-Buy) to $2000 (ShopNBC) to as low as $1500 online. I have used the exact model number in all my queries. So what gives here? I need to find a newsgroup(s) where I can get some advice re: this issue. Obviously I would welcome any advice I receive from this NG.
Many thanks,
Peter.

Did you check Consumer Reports? Your choice may not be a top tier model. HTH
Joe

What kind of advice do you want?
"What kind of advice do you want?"
I have almost decided on the make/model of the HDTV. My questions are more related to the digital service I shall receive. For example, if I obtain digital cable service does this service go to all parts of my house or only to one point. I.E. do I need a digital set top box for each TV, only one of which is an HDTV? I already have basic cable TV and so-called Hi-Speed internet service (Road Runner) so I am looking for the consequences of an upgrade.
I have tried to get answers to this and similar questions from my service supplier (Time Warner) without success; the phone lines are always busy.
Peter.

As odd as it sounds, you might try posting this in another newsgroup:
rec.radio shortwave
People in that newgroup are serious wire geeks.
Another option would be to check your yellow pages (phone book) for a real audio-video store where they know what they're talking about. You *might* find a person like that at a place like Circuit City or Best Buy, but not likely. Those companies usually fire competent people once they discover who they are.
PVR wrote:

Not a Usenet news group, but try http://www.highdefforum.com / It has a forum on HD TV providers, including Time Warner.
HTH.

If you want digital service in each room, you need a digital cable box at each TV, and a high def box at the HDTV location. If you don't care about receiving the digital broadcast in those other rooms, you can split it off and just hook it to the analog TV directly, but you won't get pay/digital signals, so you MAY not be getting all of the availble channels.
If you go satellite route, you must have a box at each TV location, UNLESS you split the signal AFTER a box, which in that case the same channel will be displayed in 2 or more locations.
On 07/22/07 11:17 am PVR wrote:

I don't know of a newsgroup dealing with such matters, but if you are wondering about the wide disparity in pricing, be sure to check what warranty is offered in every case, whether the item is new or refurbished, and shipping charges in the case of an internet purchase. The cheapest deal may not be the best deal.
Perce

alt.tv.tech.hdtv deals with such things.

you could try alt.tv.tech.hdtv.
-dickm

alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Just a warning to several online vendors who are outright ripoff artists. Namely "Wisetronics.com". They offer prices WAY below everybody else, but attempt a bait and switch after order. Google them for more info.