Telephone wire

Page 1 of 3
I just had occasion to put in a new telephone outlet.
I went down to Tru-Value and bought 50 ft of wire. I didn't have any choices, I got the last one in the store.
My first problem was that I cut off about 4 inches of the plastic wrap around the wires and only found 3 conductors. After being a bit mystified for a few hours, I discovered that one of the wires didn't reach the end of the cable. Cut off another 4 inches and there was the forth wire.
The thing that really surprised me though is how thin the wires were. I had real problems working with the hair thin wire. If I bent the wire more than once, the wire just broke right off. I couple of times I cut the insulation off, went to pull the plastic off, and the whole wire just broke off. I bent one wire around a terminal and the bend wasn't quite right so I bent it again. Wire snapped right off on the second bend.
Next time I want to work with telephone cable, I'm going to do some searches and hopefully find something with a heavier conductor.
Just commenting, I know copper has gone up in price but this stuff was ridiculous.
--
Dan Espen

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:27:53 AM UTC-7, net cop wrote:

Was it made in China? Like I don't know.
WW Grainger carry all kind of wire Refrigeration suppliers carry Thermostat wire which is even better.

24ga is normal for phone wire.

Unfortunately, looks like I threw out the package. I've used phone wire before, this stuff looked more like 1 strand from stranded wire.
--
Dan Espen

On 07/09/2013 11:50 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

It should say on the cable housing. I haven't seen anything other than CAT-3 offered for telephone use in any of the hardware stores around here.
Jon

I just looked. My coax has markings but the telephone plastic wrap is plain gray. I just took a close look at the splice I did. The new telephone wire is easily half the thickness of the older wire.
--
Dan Espen

On 07/09/2013 06:23 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Then it has no standard, which is unfortunate. Who knows what the wire is, and probably not even the people who stuff it in the package.
I guess the lesson here is that TrueValue seems to be selling crap wire marketed as "telephone wire", which would suggest someone go elsewhere and buy something that adheres to a standard (I know the HD and Ace stores here, locally, sell CAT-3, minimum, as "telephone wire").
Jon

Oddly enough I go to the local hardware store for quality. Most of their stuff is pretty good.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:48:42 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

on a single line system you only need / use a single pair for a POTS system
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Yep, but when I have 4 wires to connect to 4 wires, I just can't bring myself to leave 2 wires dangling.
--
Dan Espen

On 07/09/2013 09:25 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Agreed, and who knows, you may want to go two line in the future and you won't regret having the wiring already in place.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Dan Espen wrote:

Phone wire is usually single strand 24 gauge, at least the decent stuff that I worked with years ago. In recent years I have seen CAT 5 network cables being used in lieu of four conducter phone wire. Not sure if the price is any better though.
On 7/9/2013 11:22 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Paul

I use whatever two conductor I have. I've used cat 3 and 5 I got for free. Red white twisted pair is all you need. Depends on how your stringing it.
Greg
replying to Dan Espen , passerby wrote:

Contaminated copper, most likely recycled, does that. High quality copper is usually very pliable and withstands quite a bit of bending, at least if you didn't nick it when you were stripping the insulation. My guess is that if you are able to connect it eventually, and the outlet stays put, you won't see much of a difference in the phone's operation.

I think you may be right. After my first experience with the wire breaking I was extra careful to only score the insulation lightly. I still had the wire break.
I figured the phone didn't need the extra thickness, it seems to work fine, it was just a challenge to work with.
--
Dan Espen

On 7/9/2013 12:27 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Probably was 24 ga which is normal; problem is it wasn't annealed well so was/is very brittle. W/ stuff that small any nick is likely to cause a break but especially bad if it's particularly brittle.
As another guessed, likely it's from recycled material and purity and control not the greatest...
I had a whole roll of Western Electric cable that an installer had left at the house in TN. When we were packing to leave for the move to KS there was some reason for a service call; I no longer remember what. The roll was on the bench in the garage awaiting going in a box w/ other like stuff--when went back to the task discovered it had walked off w/ the service tech. :( Easy come, easy go... :)

Cat 5 cable works just fine for telephone wiring. Yes, it's more expensive; but you can buy a big reel of the stuff to get the cost/foot down and then use it for phone, internet, remote speakers, alarms, etc. It's usually 24-26 AWG as I recall. I did find a sale at HD one day such that the prepared ethernet cable (with connectors) was cheaper than the big reels though.
I'm one of those people, however, who think there's never enough conductors to do everything that you might want to do and so pull extra wires as long as I'm pulling one.
Tomsic

For phone wiring I generally use 4 strand 22 guage station wire unless there is a likelihood of switching up to IP Phones or needing data connections - but with gigabit you can't share a 4 pair with phone.