Tuck Pointing or siding

I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no i dea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had either done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and wouldn' t you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Brookl yn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure in mo st of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignorance. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more satis factory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.

Reply to
novel

Siding over brick. That is disgusting unless the brick is disintegrating, then siding only hides it while it continues to disintegrate.

Do the same as most people even large corporations, get three or more price quotes for tuck pointing (and even siding) and then you know the answer and can make choices. Don't ask for a ballpark, ask for a written price quotation, and don't ask the internet, only real prices will tell you what you need. NYC must have dozens of contractors that do this work, look at jobs they have done. I have seen real neat tuck pointing and I have seen real sloppy work.

Reply to
EXT

And if the brick IS deteriorating, a good stucco job may be a better option than siding.

Reply to
clare

idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mention ed to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had eithe r done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and would n't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Broo klyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure in most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignoranc e. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more sat isfactory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.

What are the other 3 sides of the house, also brick? Would it look funny t o just have the back side vinyl siding?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Siding has one big advantage:) you can add foamboard insulation between the brick and siding... saving big bucks on your heating and cooling bill...

I am 56 when I was around 10 a neighbor sided his brick home, he wanted to save money on property tax. drove by that home last week it still looks good.

although the resale value of a brick home tends to be more

Reply to
bob haller

sh

Reply to
Sherlock.Homes

no idea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend menti oned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between the two...never had eit her done previously. I know location has a lot to do with the price and wou ldn't you know it, I live in the most expensive city in the world..NYC ( Br ooklyn ). I know I have to pay, but there is a string in me, as I am sure i n most of us, that doesn't like to be 'taken' either, mainly through ignora nce. I'd like to get a ballpark figure for either and which would be more s atisfactory. I believe siding would cover the pointing part. Thanks.

to just have the back side vinyl siding?

You would thing so, but here in NJ I see builders putting up new $600K+ hou ses with brick fronts and vinyl siding on the rest. Looks dumb and cheap to m e. But it could be worse. My grandfather had an all brick ranch house. When he sold it, the new owner put up an addition that was white vinyl siding on all three sides, including the front facing the street. Now that sure loo ked like hell.

Reply to
trader4