Using Telephone wire for Electric Range

I have to connect an electric range. The electrician told me I need 6 gauge cable with 4 wires, and needs to be connected to a 60 amp fuse or breaker. I already have a spare 60 amp fuse thingie that says RANGE on it, right next to the one that says MAIN. I cant afford to hire the electrician, and that 6 gauge wire is very expensive. Until I can afford to buy that wire, after my tax return in April, can I just use some old telephone wire that I have. It has 4 wires in it and should reach to the range, if I duct tape the two pieces together? The telephone wire is gray and has 4 wires inside red, green, yellow, and black. What color wire goes to what in the range and the fuse box?

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy-Edison

green is tip, red is ring black and yellow are used for the dial light

It might be easier to get a cordless phone.

Reply to
Bill

C Merrily we troll along G C Troll along, troll along C Merrily we troll along, G C O'er the World Wide Web.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

black = black red = red green = ground yellow = neutral.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, This is not funny. Plonk!!!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As part of the new national spy on everyone program your name and all personal info has been shared with your insurance company, who will cancel all your insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.

the building inspector, fire marshall, will be visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they will become wards of the state, and you and everyone in your home will be sterilized, so you cant reproduce..

dont laugh this day is fast approaching

Reply to
bob haller

Sure, but bill's answer was perfect.

Reply to
krw

your name and all personal info has been shared with your insurance company, who will cancel all your insurance. plus your neighbors and friends since you are obviously a neighborhood hazard.

visiting. meanwhile if you have any children they will become wards of the state, and you and every one in your home will be sterilized, so you cant reproduce..

Big brother double plus ungood!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snip]

And put some white tape around the yellow wire, at each end.

Reply to
hah
[snip]

According to the rules of Newspeak, the above is a completely meaningless statement :-)

Reply to
notX

Did Bill mean a cordless range?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Earlier today I swallowed a golf ball. I just wanted to see if I could do it, and I can.

After it went down, I had second thoughts on whether or not swallowing a golf ball was such a good idea, and I thought it might be a good idea to see a doctor about it. Maybe they could give me something that would either make me puke it out or poop it out.

I spent just about all day at the emergency intake at the Miseracordia Hospital here in Winnipeg. When I finally got in to see a doctor, he gave me some great advice. He told me to try to remember the number on the ball. That way, if I pooped one out, I could tell if it was mine.

The guy is smart. I never would have thought of that.

Reply to
nestork

Could be, my gas range is cordless.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You better check again. I'm sure there's a cord for lights of some sort. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

snipped-for-privacy@yahoooo.com wrote in news:0auk89h9quacpifrkmqujv52rlp5e5tm37@

4ax.com:

You're about four and a half months too early for this post. April 1st is over that way ---->.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tommy, you can actually use the phone wire but with your lack of funds, the way to do it is to steal a pair of 13.8kv transformers and some of the low voltage leads. You hook the low voltage leads of the 13.8kv transformer to your 240 volt breaker then use the telephone wire to go from the high voltage connections of one trans former to the other. You then hook the second transformer's low voltage connections to your stove and it should work. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, but tip and ring must not be reversed on a 2-phase phone system or the bell won't ring when the roast is done.

Reply to
Bill

The red is hot and the black is ground. If you connect those wires to the stove, you should be able to cook on the wires themselves for a while, until they melt.

Reply to
micky

Story time: I've known the sentence above since I was 10 years old, wrt telephones. Until this year, I thought it meant that the ring signal came in on the red (useful for party lines, in their later implementation iiuc when only one phone on the line would ring depending on who was being called. Maybe for the second party the ring was the yellow or black) and the green tipped the balance in some way.

I'm 66 and after 47 years, I finally learned this year that the tip is the tip of the phone plug and the ring is the ring shaped part of the plug behind the tip. For this alone, it was worth living this long.

Or a cordless cook range.

Reply to
micky

Amazing, how the same terms mean different things. One ringy dingy!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon