tarry goo in bottom of air conditioner housing?

Hi all,
still helping a friend get his house in shape... cleaned the A-coil today. Lots of crap came out! Anyway, the housing above the furnace for the indoor portion of the AC looks like it had about 1/2" or so of tarry stuff poured into it after it was installed, but some of it has broken up and come loose since then. So there's standing water in there now, because the drain tube (which is clogged, but that's another issue that I think I can deal with) is at the level of this tar stuff, which now has chunks missing.
What is said stuff, and where can we get more to make it as it should be?
thanks
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Do you think it is to prevent rusting of the ductwork?
On 10/16/2011 11:02 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It looks like it is to build the bottom of it up to the level of the drain outlet, and also to prevent rusting.
The reason that I was asking was that it was shrunken and broken, and when I vacuumed all the debris out of there (reason I was in there in the first place was because the A-coil was dirty, and also there appeared to be some rust on the brackets because of a slow drain) some of the chunks came up. For lack of any better ideas, I "glued" the pieces back together with roofing tar, and used more tar to fill in the cracks and level the surface so all the condensate could run off properly. I just finished this up maybe half an hour ago, is nice to have functional A/C again (and hopefully cleaning the A-coil will allow the furnace to cycle properly. If not, I will have more work to do.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Are you sure it isn't black mold?
Because that's the stuff in my A/C. I remember what it was like when it was new. Now it's got black goo in it--mold that needs to be cleaned.
-- Steven L.
On 10/16/2011 12:06 PM, Steven L. wrote:

Not unless mold is hard, and a half inch thick :)
nate