Target, home depot card security:(

Page 1 of 3
I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure:(
I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize merchants who have data breaches:(
Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....
I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...
of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for reelection from big business.
I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this:(

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.
On 9/24/2014 11:16 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Our Democrat in Chief has been displaying his true side, with the Behghazi coverup (our boys died) and the Sgt. T in Mexican prison, and o doesn't do much about it. How about the Latte salute?
Ever heard of paying cash?

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to help.
On 9/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

I do hope you are joking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/25/2014 6:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not so fast... He never said WHO it was supposed to help! ;)
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:16:31 -0700, "Pico Rico"

Pico,
How can you be that clinical? Whenever they're campaigning the libs always say they care about us. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm beginning to lose all faith in humanity.
On 9/24/2014 11:44 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I've lost confidence in both sides. The Libs propose legislation, the Reps bluff and bluster for a few weeks, and sure enough it passes. Two sides of one coin.
On Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:53:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You make it sound like the Republicans are passing most of what the Democrats want. In fact, compared to previous Congresses, very little is being passed. Not that I'm complaining. It's just that if the Republicans were doing what you say, it would, IMO, be a whole lot worse.
On 9/25/2014 8:12 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'll admit, I don't follow the specifics. Just the general feel I get from listening to radio.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/25/2014 8:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Then you share it with us. There is a lot of that going around.

They do bother. The problem is humanity. There will always be thieves. The fact is, if a human devises a security plan, no matter how good it is, another human will find a way to break it. No matter how smart and clever you are, there is always someone smarter and more clever than you.
It will happen again no matter how strong the security seems to be.
You can be sure that as you read this, some hacker is trying to be to your bank or retailers you shop at. It will never stop.
On Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:56:56 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Now, now Ed. The clear problem here is the Republicans. Despite the fact that Obama is president and the Democrats control the Senate. If just the Democrats controlled the House too, there would be no more computer crime. The govt is good at computer security. We just need more of it so they can apply the same systems and techniques that kept all our top secret NSA data secure. NSA data that by the way, didn't have to interface at all to hundreds of millions of consumers doing billions of transactions.
On 9/25/2014 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ever heard of "pay cash"?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/25/2014 7:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That would be unfair to banks. They deserve 3% of all your purchases. If I pay cash for something I mark it down and at the end of the week send 3% to Citi Bank or Chase.
On 9/25/2014 8:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Three percent? I've only been sending two percent. I'll have to total that up, and send a check before they back a charge me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/25/2014 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Can I have an AMEN. As consumers, we have to be vigilant, watch our accounts every day, make our passwords harder and harder to crack, change them often, and when it is the fault of a merchant, we have to make sure the credit card companies cover us. And make sure you know the privacy policies of every company you deal with. And most of all, make sure your own computer is patchable and patched. Run firewalls and put your ISP provided router in stealth mode. And don't open emails from someone you don't recognize, and even if you do, don't click their links.
--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
On 09/26/2014 10:31 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Good idea

Not always a good idea. If the bad guys did not manage to crack the first one, it is not a good idea to give them a new one to start over on.
And the bad guys are going around your passwords a lot now days with key loggers and cracking the vendors databases.

Maybe. XP is not patched. Last I looked, W7 is getting infected slightly more than XP.
Microsoft Operating system (Windows) are really bad from a security standpoint. Consider switching to security hardened operating system, such as Fedora Linux.
Microsoft is such chuckle heads when it comes to security. Quality too for that manner. Windows Frankenstein (w8) is atrocious!

Excellent idea. Those el-cheap-o routers for $70.00 are not firewalls, by the way.
Change the internal network away from the defaults. The script kiddies know how to get around Network Address Translation (NAT) routers on 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24. Change it to something like 192.168.133.0/24

1) Outlook can execute them automatically. Don't use Microsoft browsers or eMail programs.
2) The bad guys will steel the infected person's address book and pick someone as the "From:". So, there is a really good chance you will recognize the "From:" name.
So, don't open anything "Cheesy" that has little or no intimate knowledge of your relationship with the "From:" person. If in doubt, call the sender on the phone and ask them if they sent it.

No fooling!
Don't do anything private on line. No bill paying, no banking, etc.. If you absolute have to, use a Linux Live CD
And switch to cash when you can. Credit cards are evil.
On 9/27/2014 4:17 AM, Todd wrote:

It has been proven that cracking passwords takes a certain amount of time, I'm not up on how long these days, but changing passwords regularly throws off their ability to crack it before the next change.

Of course.

I'm a Windows person and hard to convince to convert but the more I have to work with open source software at work, the more comfortable I get with the *nix.

Very good idea.

We just have to be more careful and watch our accounts. I won't give up CC's for cash just yet.
--
Cheryl
On 09/27/2014 01:28 AM, Cheryl wrote:

It is a big debate in security circles. Cracking usually takes a few minutes using hashes. I have had to crack users password before and that is about how long it took me. A few I could not crack, no matter how many times I ran the routine. (It is easier just to reset their password to blank. That always works)
The big debate is if they failed to crack your password the first time, why give them a new one they may be able to crack the next time through. Some IT folks knees jerk pretty hard when the subject arises.
I just use a huge, nasty password. And, never reuse a password on other sites!
Also, with Fedora Linux, you can encrypt your entire hard drive. If you have anything sensitive or private on it, it is a real good idea. You can do it with Windows to, but it is a super pain in the arse! It is quite seamless in Fedora.