tapping into main trunk for new heat register

Plan to cut two new registers into the main trunk line running thru the basement to add heat to the room. Current registers in that room are "off-line". Trunk runs in the ceiling, behind plaster. I plan to cut the hole, fabricate a short duct, put the register in the ceiling, right off the trunk. Seems rather simple and straightforward.

(just in case) What am I forgetting?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

I am not really sure what you are planning, but I would suggest the first step is to determine that you have enough capacity to heat the area you want to heat and that the trunk you are working on has enough capacity to supply the expanded area and still properly supply it's existing load.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

re: Seems rather simple and straightforward

A former boss used to say "Nothing is ever what it appears to be."

Depending on the layout, you may end up getting too little or too much heat in that room based on air flow. This could impact the rest of the house. You might need dampers to help balance the system.

It might be worth paying for an opinion from a pro.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nah. Really not called for. But, you already supplied one of the things I was overlooking. Dampers! While the existing system has the capacity (it was already supposed to be heating the space, but the old ducts are blocked somewhere under the concrete floor), tapping right into the main trunk with a very short (

Reply to
Renata