Tankless Water Heater

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
Do you guys have any experience with this kind of tankless water heater? It is pretty popular in other countries but not in the America. It is not cheap here either.

I installed one once and got nothing but complaints.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Do you guys have any experience with this kind of tankless water heater?&nbsp; It is pretty popular in other countries but not in the America.&nbsp; It is not cheap here either.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>-- <BR>&gt; There is no answer.<BR>&gt; There has not been an answer.<BR>&gt; There will not be an answer.<BR>&gt; That IS the answer!<BR>&gt; And I am screwed.<BR>&gt; Deadline was due yesterday.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; There is no point to life.<BR>&gt; THAT IS THE POINT.<BR>&gt; And we are screwed.<BR>&gt; We will run out of oil soon.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I have a gas Bosch and have had no probems, If you want to save on utilities get a tankless. Just because Bob had problems is not reflective of tankless. Did Bob ever have a bad car, does Bob still drive today.
The person I installed it for insisted on an electric one, and then complained about it. I didn't comment about experiences you (or anyone else) had, only the experience I had.

Look into Bosch, Takagi or Rinnai, efficiencies go to 94% and energy factors of 90+ the best Sears for example gas tank is only 63 energy factor. Takagi and Rinnai make commercial grade units also with remote thermostats, I have a small 112000 btu Bosch and it heats 35f incomming for a hot shower not even set to high. You will save alot with a Ng tankless, I save 25 a month over electric tank.

Only thing holding me back is the simultanious need to replace most of the gas piping in my house so that I can get enough fuel to the fire. An additional expense tipping the ROI out of favor. Perhaps I will have the guts to DIY that someday.

Two story house?

I should've asked a better question: Do these units need to be located right at the place where they're used? If no, and they can go in the basement, why would the piping be so expensive? Your heating contractor can install it, and based on my experience, they're usually cheaper than plumbers.
Wake up nick , of course I used the old electric tank, your questions are so relavent.
They require alot of Btu mine is 117000 next size up is 180000 btu, that takes alot of gas to be sure when you need the full btu its there. I use 1/2" but over 10ft I think its 3/4" or so. For the 180000 btu and a long gas supply it has to be calculated. Mine is in the basement.

Keeping a tank hot with no water usage takes $25/month? :-)
Nick
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:51:24 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hi Bob, What were the major complaints? I've been thinking about installing one at our cabin. The cabin is used infrequently, there is quite a long wait for the electric water heater to warm up, and I don't want to leave it running for weeks when no one is there.
I'm doubting whether it's worth it.
thanks
Basically, the water just didn't get hot enough, but as I said previously, it was electric.
Storage type water heaters are rated by their 'recovery rate'. This is how fast they can raise the water temperature 90 degrees. (A theoretical incoming cold water temp of 50 degrees, up to 140 deg. F.) A 240 volt 4500 watt electric water heater takes 2 hours to heat 40 gallons of water. A 40 gallon gas water heater is about twice as fast (depending on the firing rate).

Bob wrote:

I experienced one in Puerto Rico, and it worked fine. But, the water from the tap in this neighborhood was lukewarm to begin with, no matter how long we ran it, so the water heater didn't need to work very hard.
Hi,
Do you guys have any experience with this kind of tankless water heater? It is pretty popular in other countries but not in the America. It is not cheap here either.

Were you in Ceiba or Fjardo?

Yauco - a little bit West of Ponce.

Been to Ponce. Pretty place.
One day I'll get back there. Been since 1979.....

If you haven't been to Rincon either, put that on your list. Amazing place. Get a room at Casa Islea.

Been there. I lived in Ceiba for a year while trying to figure out what college I wanted to go to. After a year of basically being a beach bum during the day, bartender at night, and blackjack player (at the El Conquistador) til daylight, my parents said to "pick a school and go because you aren't staying here". Ah, but it was fun while it lasted.....
http://www.designerplumbing.com/tvtt.html