what to stuff in driveway gaps?

There is a strip of rotting wood between the concrete slabs on my driveway. It is about 1" wide. Is this a standard lumber item, or would I have to cut it from something else? Is there anything better than a strip of wood?

Between the driveway and walkway, and between the walkway slabs, there are half-inch gaps but no wood strips in them. I don't know what is supposed to be in these gaps, but now they are filled with random junk/dirt and topped with moss. What is the proper way to stuff these gaps?

Reply to
peter

Clean out the gaps and apply caulk. The gray stuff specifically for concrete.

Reply to
Ron

stuff in a foam filler rod first, then fill the rest with the caulk recommended by Ron. The gap is likely to be too large for just caulk by itself.

Reply to
louie

You are looking for "backer rod". Here is an example:

need to install the appropriate size for the gap(s) you have.

Follow with the proper caulk/sealant like There are several good manufacturers but these come to mind: Vulkem NP1, if the joints are fairly level use SL1 (self leveling) DowCorning 795 silicone.

You can also fill the joints with pourable rubber sealant like:

or

DanG

I just went to home depot to look. There are at least 3 similar sealants that says concrete & masonry sealant, and they are all gray color. Here they are (I had to use acehardware's web site because HD's web site sucks):

one do I choose? I want to pick the best one for the job so I won't have to do it again for a long time.

The driveway is sloped; I probably don't want self leveling. The rubber sealant looks good but I don't want jet black sealant. It would be too loud against a medium gray driveway.

One more question: can any of these sealant withstand driveway being pressure-washed?

Reply to
peter

Of the names that you show, I would go with the PL product only because their adhesives are pretty good.

Professional names in the type products I would recommend: Sika Sonneborn/DeGussa Vulkem Tremco Pecora Dow Corning (the only silicone I would consider)

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of manufacturers"

DanG