Surviving the Depression TIPS WANTED

Now that we're in the second great depression, we all need to find ways to cope and survive. I've noticed there are quite a few tips for cooking with basic foods during a depression, online, but not much more. For example, how does one survive without electricity, and I dont mean using candles or a kerosene lamp for lighting. And what about heat? In a rural area people burn wood, but in a city the wood costs more than natural gas. Of course these things are for people who still have homes. Many have already lost their homes and many many more will soon lose them. The rescue shelters are already filled and soon they may not be able to afford to keep their doors open. For some, a tent might provide shelter, but it depends on location and temperature. How do you heat a tent? Sure there are propane heaters, but who can afford propane. The Indians would build a wood fire inside a teepee, but dont try this in a modern nylon tents because it will burn or melt, and there again comes the cost of firewood in a city. On top of that, as long as law enforcement still exists, (and they will likely shut down when they no longer get paid), it's illegal to camp in most city parks. Cars are another place to live, even if they dont run, but how does one heat them, and in hot weather they are nearly unbearably hot?
This thread is intended to discuss this most needed topic. Soon many if not most of us will be living in the streets, and NOW is the time to make plans and learn how to survive. Don't think it can't happen to you. Whether you're rich or poor, you soon could become moneyless and homeless. This likely will occur in the next few months if not sooner.
And last but not least, lets not forget entertainment. While survival is at the top of the list, we must all keep our mood and spirits up, or what's the point of surviving. What can we do to fill our time and socialize? Remember, we wont have money to shop, or drink in bars, or go to restaurants. Actually most stores, bars and restaurants will perish anyhow. The cities and rural towns will be filled with empty abandoned stores and other business places. There wont be any tv, radio or computers either. Even if you have battery powered equipment, batteries cost money, and tv, radio stations as well as the internet will be shut down.
Please add tips and suggestions for coping and survival to this thread.

FEMA isbuilding camps nationwide for the displaced.
ideally you have a camp in the country with a wood burner, fresh water source and some stockpiled food
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.survival/topics

sometimes resorted to eating bread with lard smeared on it. Of course, most of us won't be butchering our own hogs or baking our own bread this time around. Grandfather borrowed $300 from a neighbor to build a new barn. Right after he finished, the neighbor died and his sons called the note. Sent a load of hogs to Chicago to try to raise the money to satisfy the note and the truck driver came back requesting more money as the sale of the hogs didn't cover the cost of shipping them to Chicago. The neighbor's sons ended up with the farms.
Tom G.

cross posting removed.
The current economic downturn does not even yet begin to compare to the great depression.
Learn to cook not open boxes or get it from the freezer.
Learn to do your own repairs. This group is a great place for help with that.
Learn to spend less than you make, I bet there is a newsgroup for that.
Colbyt

cross-posting removed due to troll.
Jimw wrote:

you joshing? When the electricity is off and there is no heat, bundle up with coats, wool blankets, whatever adds insulation. BTDT. Water shut off? Wait until dark and snitch some from a spigot. Now, if the dreary scenario you expect arrives, folks would have to be housed in Army tents or whatever it takes.
My father dropped out of high school during the depression. His father worked for the city but wasn't paid. Still went to work. Don't know how long that lasted.
A sack of flour makes a lot of noodles, bread, bisquits, etc. Some lard with flour makes gravy. Beats the heck out of starving, and it is amazing how good anything will taste when it is all you have.
Social life - talk, play cards, plant a garden, help the less fortunate. There will ALWAYS be those less fortunate than you. In a lot of ways, I think it would be good for us - not wishing for it by any means. Less money for booze, drugs and shopping - stay home with the kids and help 'em with homework......
Jimw wrote:

Nothing like it in fact.

Most dont.

I just went to bed when it was dark when I had no electricity.

You can use solar. But you wont be without electricity, so there is no point in worrying about how to survive without it.

Burn whatever is appropriate, natural gas, wood, the neighour's kids.

Then burn natural gas.
Or just put up with the cold. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

If you are stupid enough to lose yours, move to somewhere warmer where you dont need heat.

A tiny subset of those who havent.

A tiny subset of those who wont.

Then camp in your car, stupid.

Nope, perfectly possible to 'live' in one anywhere in the US.

With a fire.

Burn wood, stupid.

You have the fire outside the tent, stupid.

So get out of the city, stupid.

That didnt happen during the great depression.

So get out of the city, stupid.

Dont bother. Get used to the cold, stupid.

Not if you park it under a tree, stupid.

Pure fantasy. That didnt happen during the great depression either.

Nope.
I know it cant. And I know it didnt happen to many during the great depression either.

Nope, not a chance. My house is fully paid off and my money is in cash.

Pure pig ignorant fantasy.

You can try dancing nude in front of the fire.

Sit around the fire and rave on to anyone else around that fire is the traditional approach.

Wrong, as always.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.

That didnt happen during the great depression either.
And if it does, the traditional approach is for bums like you to squat in them.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland.

By far the best approach for fools like you is to buy some rope while you still have some money and hang yourself with it.

Nope. "those who havent" [sic] do NOT include ANY who "have already lost their homes" in ANY subset!

Nope. "those who wont" [sic] do NOT include ANY who "will lose them soon" in ANY subset!
Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be JR Weiss wrote just the usual mindless nit pick thats all it can ever manage
Jimw wrote:

Boy Scout motto, "Be prepared" Not prepared? You sound like a pessimist. You are full of negative energy.

The Big Crash happened in 1929. Things didn't get grim for a couple of years later. You'll know when that time comes because when you look in your wallet there is no money. All your friends also have no money. None of their friends do, either. Every paid for house will have multiple entire families living there. Every thing you need must be bought with cash, and you don't have any. The local governments will have boxes of basic rations for the most desperate. The food will be flour, cooking oil, molasses or sorghum, corn meal, some dried fruit, none needing refrigeration. That's the good part. It can get worse. I know, I lived through it.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.
Even with 25% unemployed, thats still 75% employed, stupid.

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.

Nothing like that happened during the great depression.

Like hell you did.

Joe
Joe wrote:

Fat lot of good that will do you, fuckwit.

What took you so long? I killfiled him long ago.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353

So how does one pay the taxes on that house with no money?
TMT

If you still have a job, it's a recession.
Need a place to sleep? - Become a squatter. Look for abandoned homes.
Need money? - Run for election in 2010 and start soliciting campaign contributions now.
- Stand at intersections with a cup and a sign that reads; "Need Money for Beer".
Need food? - Shack up with a woman who has a job?
Need fire wood? - Go to your county landfill. Mine has a section for discarded lumber and uprooted trees.
Need enertainment? - Go to the public library. It's heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Plus you could learn some job skills.
Really desparate? - Get thrown in jail. You get fed and housed.
If all else fails, - Find a job - Economists target October as the end of the recession.
Dick
i wouldn't exactly call this the great depression, last time I checked there aren't any bread lines going. Hell we are not even at the bottom of the real estate market yet. There is a huge wave still to come with all those Alt A paper Option Arm loans. Those are going to be resetting between 2009-2011. If you think our current state of affairs are bad, wait another year. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com