Sump pump woes

I can envision SOME cercumstances where the basement floor, although under ground, is still higher than the street sewer - That said - when looking for a new house I looked for one that did NOT NEED a sump pump because it was at a higher elevation than the surrounding land and in well drained SAND. It would take a 200 year storm for there to be any danger of flooding my basement from anything but a sanitary sewer backup.

Reply to
clare

The point being that your "it's a basement so of course it is below street level" is nonsense. One does *not* imply the other.

Reply to
krw

You might want to consider a water powered back-up pump in the event you have no power.

I put one of these in a couple of days before Hurricane Irene hit, and it saved my basement when my power went out.

Reply to
Mikepier

House came with a Generac 17 KW generator, so I'm good there. And we're on a well, so no help but thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Joe J

My basement IS above street level. Have sump, dont need a pump.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

One of the things our sump pump at work has that I really like is an indicator that comes on and lets you know that it has run. The circuit works with a mechanical latch so it doesn't reset if power goes off. This was a locally built device and I don't know if anything similar is available on the market. It a relay that pulls in when the pump comes on. When the relay armature pulls in it allows a leaf spring to pop into place and hold the armature down until the spring is manually reset. Sump is in the bottom of the elevator shaft.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Me? Why? My floor is 4' above the street. Oh, and I have no basement (slab). ;-)

Reply to
krw