Sump pump woes

Me? Why? My floor is 4' above the street. Oh, and I have no basement (slab). ;-)

under ground, is still higher than the street sewer - That said - when looking for a new house I looked for one that did NOT NEED a sump pump because it was at a higher elevation than the surrounding land and in well drained SAND. It would take a 200 year storm for there to be any danger of flooding my basement from anything but a sanitary sewer backup.

My basement IS above street level. Have sump, dont need a pump.
Jimmie

Look at it this way. Let's say you go outside and dig a hole in the ground. You go down 3ft, 5ft, 7ft, etc. No water. Finally you get to some point, let's say 12 ft and now there is an inch of water in the hole. If you put a pump in that inch of water it will pump, refill, pump.... If you put the pump an inch higher, the hole will have 1" of water in it and just sit there. The same applies to your sump pump situation. If the natural water level is near the bottom of the sump pit most of the time and you have the pump set to go on at that point, it will cycle the pump all the time. But if you can raise the pump turn-on 6 inchs it will not turn on unless the water level rises due to rain.
The issue with raising it is the higher your raise it the more risk you run of some water showing up somewhere in the basement.

Found a universal tethered float switch at Ace ($29) and that did the trick. Beats replacing the entire pump. Couldn't get the screw out holding the old switch, so the new switch is installed with cable ties strapped to the pipe, but it works. Thanks all!

for any sump pump....
it's a good idea to manually lift the float switch say once a month and make sure the motor runs....
the bearings can start to seize up if the motor is not run periodically.
Mark
On Oct 3, 8:32am, "Stormin Mormon"

One of the things our sump pump at work has that I really like is an indicator that comes on and lets you know that it has run. The circuit works with a mechanical latch so it doesn't reset if power goes off. This was a locally built device and I don't know if anything similar is available on the market. It a relay that pulls in when the pump comes on. When the relay armature pulls in it allows a leaf spring to pop into place and hold the armature down until the spring is manually reset. Sump is in the bottom of the elevator shaft.
Jimmie