Painting concrete porch

Sigh! Again tackling this nasty job. I posted long ago about the problem repainting concrete porch because Calif. forbids use of the oil-based BM which I used for decades. When they did that, I had to buy a can of something that would let the new paint cling to the old. So extra job, applying TWO coats instead of just one. Grrrr!

TRecently I posted a q. about how to fill in the leprosy patches left where some paint had flaked. Stucco patch that I used to use (I think) didn't work too great.

One experienced-sounding NG member advised not to fill in the patches, but to feather them. I broke out my sander, put on a coarse grit but had limited success.

The damn paint is shot to ****. I spent too much time scraping endlessly with a flat-blade utility knife in many areas not amenable to feathering.

Now finally to the q: Is it possible to just cover the (&^$(_+&&^%$ $##* porch with a new coat of quick-setting (or other advisable?) concrete in order to stop ****ing around with all this scraping and patching, and just start from scratch?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Habout some sort of filler for the new paint to make it sort of leveling?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Feathering concrete surface flaws requires a diamond cup wheel but not a crazy aggressive one

This one (I have on similar) is probably too aggressive.... better for removing a 1/4" crack uplift.

I'd be reluctant to apply ANY top coat (paint, epoxy or cemeotious skim coat) to a surface with failing paint.

How about water blasting (heavy duty pressure washer) the paint off and then use a UV stabilized COV compliant epoxy or urethane?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Rent a concrete surface grinder. Get the whole floor flat and pristine. Coat it with Sears water based epoxy garage floor paint in whichever shade of gray you like. Leave out the silly flakes and sand. A) It won't take as long as you think. B) It won't cost as much as you think. C) It will look better than you expect. D) It will last longer than you think. Just do it, don't obsess over it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

***That's one of my questions. Last time, I THINK I used stucco filler, but can't remember for sure. Any recommendations?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

This might help: A scraper blade for your reciprocating saw. They come in at least two widths and can be resharpened. About $9 at the box stores.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmmm.. that's what I SHOULD do. I checked the only local tool rental place. $60 a day. Dunno how big those puppies are, or how hard they are to use. Will go over & eyeball them first. BTW, I don't use GRAY, I use MEDIUM DARK RED.

Question re: paint. Why are you recommending the Sears paint over, let's say, BM which I have used for years. Straight question.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I used Quickrete brand epoxy garage floor paint and am very very pleased with it. It's difficult to scratch it.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

cuz that's what he has experience with?

BM has a water borne epoxy that should be Ca COV compliant?

Benjamin Moore=99 115 High Performance Acrylic Epoxy High-Gloss Coating

Reply to
DD_BobK

OK, I was all set to rent a concrete grinder. Then I talked to an experienced guy. He suggested power washer or acid. Acid, I'd stay away from because runoff might harm plants. I asked if power washer could really remove umpty layers of paint (though flaking is so bad, orig. concrete shows through here & there. He said yes it could.

What do you -- and/or others - think of power washer for this job. Also, how much strength does it take? I've seen demos of power washers on walls &it seems doable.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

OK, I was all set to rent a concrete grinder. Then I talked to an experienced guy. He suggested power washer or acid. Acid, I'd stay away from because runoff might harm plants. I asked if power washer could really remove umpty layers of paint (though flaking is so bad, orig. concrete shows through here & there. He said yes it could.

What do you -- and/or others - think of power washer for this job. Also, how much strength does it take? I've seen demos of power washers on walls &it seems doable.

TIA

HB

======== reply ===========

With enough time spent at it, it should remove most of the surface paint. There will be some residual in the "pores". Said differently, you not end up with a fresh concrete look.

Compared to grinding it is the way I would go and let nature do the rest over a few years of time. If you plan to repaint then ignore the nature part.

Why people ever felt the need to paint concrete is well beyound my ability to understand.

Reply to
Colbyt

Yeah painting concrete is a total waste of time, and causes forever maintence

Reply to
bob haller

I've been in this place so long, I swear I don't remember if the porch was painted when I bought it. That's scary!

Concrete is so...so...gray... Maybe if they'd mixed color in when the place was built...back in the Pleistocene...

That's one reason I asked, early in this thread, whether I could just pour some kind of concrete over the existing surface. But it sounds like I have to get rid of the old paint layers first.

Now, question: If I get all or most of it off, could I then pour colored concrete? Yes, I'm blue-skying, but want to explore all options.

And if that happened, what is the experience with colored concrete?

TIA

HB

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I've been in this place so long, I swear I don't remember if the porch was painted when I bought it. That's scary!

Concrete is so...so...gray... Maybe if they'd mixed color in when the place was built...back in the Pleistocene...

That's one reason I asked, early in this thread, whether I could just pour some kind of concrete over the existing surface. But it sounds like I have to get rid of the old paint layers first.

Now, question: If I get all or most of it off, could I then pour colored concrete? Yes, I'm blue-skying, but want to explore all options.

And if that happened, what is the experience with colored concrete?

HB

--------- reply -----------------

What's with your news agent and the quotes not working?

I think you want to investigate concrete stains, not pigments, not paint and not powder.

I would test before proceeding but if you get all off except for a few pores it should work fine. My guess is that the stain will not penetrate any remaining paint so you may well wind up with something reasonably good looking if you go with a complimentary stain color. A faux finish type of look.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

manually, or use asterisks, but sometimes I forget. Mea culpa.

will inquire. Sounds like one would have to get down to bare concrete to = use that.

thenslapped on a coat of BM in the same dark red; told the store what it wa= s for, so hope >>they sold me the right thing. They've been in business he= re for 60 years.

Rainy season -- if we have one -- wouldn't interfere with that, I assume.

d) concrete -- after removing all existing paint.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson