Sump pump wire/plug trips circuit breaker

When I plug in the wire (which goes to my outside sump pump), the circuit breaker trips. Also on the circuit are a few of my living room lights but they always seem okay.
I bought the house about 2 years ago and at first didn't even mess with the outside wiring. The low voltage lights were working half ass and the sump pump kinda just did its own thing (work sometimes, it's not essential because it is like a back up). I finally dived into the project and was plugging things in and out to try to figure out what goes where. Now, every time I plug that sump pump wire in, the circuit breaks.
I guess my question is, should I try anything else or should I just figure this is a time I need an electrician?
The pump is not essential, but it is there. So I have standing water and its getting near mosquito season.
One thing you can do first is to prove that the pump isn't defective. Just plug it into an outlet that you know nothing else is connected to. If that circuit trips, you've got a bad pump