substitute for curtains during the daytime

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the window glass.
Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since its probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to the glass so that it could be easily removed?
Would anyone know where in London the reflective film can be bought? Thanks.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "john royce"

Make a lightweight frame to carry the paper and put it in place as needed. Window reflective film can be bought from car accessory shops or online. Shop around as the prices vary widely.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

what about venetian blinds, perhaps vertically, and sloped so they cant see in?
depends on the lines of sight..
[g]
george (dicegeorge) wrote:

aluminium type are pretty cheap and very reliable IME.

Agree, but they are fragile (aluminium is thin and easily bends).
The wooden slat ones are completely useless if you need any light through the window at all, with being pretty non-reflective.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Actually, now I look closer, it's a silver coloured reflective plastic, which is quite bendy and resilient.

slats, so no good as a blackout.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:02:33 +0100, "george (dicegeorge)"

I like my vertical Levelor venetian blinds, along with shears and thermo draperies. This combination blocks out 99% of sunlight, yet I can use just the shears to let light in with privacy. As long as the outdoors is brighter than inside, shears provide privacy.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:39:47 +0100, "john royce"

    Keep in mind that the reflective film is bi-directional. At night when there is more light inside than out, you will be be able to see out, but everyone outside could see in.

you can use anything you choose. Why not spend the 80p and see if you like it.

One option is emergency blankets, 2 for 1 at poundland. Its silvered mylar, IIRC somewhere in the region of 50% reflective.
I'd rather have all the light coming in, so would prefer other options to the ones you're discussing.
NT
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:39:47 +0100, john royce wrote:

Bear in mind that the film only looks silvery when the light level outside is higher than that inside. With lighting levels the other way round, say at night people outside can see quite clearly inside but the people inside now have the silvery look and feel as if they can't be observed...
The japanese paper would diffuse things but I wouldn't like having a bit of paper at a window I like to look out and see what is going on in the world...
Ventian blinds are good suggestion or roller blinds but be aware of the possible translucent abilties of some materials. Those made of thin strips of cane or fine straw almost might as well not be there at night with the room light on.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:21:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

How about vertical blinds? Can be angled to allow light but block view. I have some that aren't at all transparent but are reasonably translucent so get reasonable light even when they're closed; this is useful in the morning as the room's quite light when I come in to open the blinds.
They're also good at this time of the year and later to angle so that the sun's not shining across the monitor.
--
Peter.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:14:44 +0100, PeterC wrote:

If we're mentioning blinds, can I put in a plug for:
http://www.blindsmadeeasy.co.uk
? I've used them three times now, and have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.
They do lots of different sorts; so far I've only had horizontal (Venetian) ones. You measure the window, tell them whether you want it internal or external, which side you want the controls, what colour and material, etc. You get a (carriage inclusive) proce on the website. Delivery is about a week to ten days, made to measure.
Mine were easy to put up. Two or three screws each. They did change the bracket design slightly and I couldn't work it out. Customer service were quick, efficient and helpful.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

a pain, and the cut edge is never perfect

http://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk
Baz

Over the Internet?
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:39:47 +0100, john royce wrote:

================================================ They could make things easy for themselves and join one of the biggest clubs in Britain - the 'Net Curtain' club. Membership is open and materials are universally available.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
john royce coughed up some electrons that declared:

No one seems to have net curtains? Might be old fashioned, but they are very good at solving this type of problem...

closest to the second floor window, we adjust horizontal blinds for privacy from next door 2nd and 3rd floors. and we adjust the inner vertical blinds for desired angle of view toward the pool. use a cheap dollar store laser to check your privacy lines of sight after dark.