Subfloor Leveler

I applied some leveler at some spots where the subfloor boards had uneven heights, but after drying it shrinks. When wet, things look fine and the gap is bridged, but as it dries, it becomes evident, although the level is about OK. What gives?
I'm using Armstrong powder and adhesive mixed per the instructions.