Got an electrical problem, need assistance

Ok, Heres the situation, our front lamp post is out along with garden lights (hard wired). Found a problem the electrical outlet had been planted (literally) so it was full of rust and moist dirt. Ok, I removed the bad outlet replaced it with a weatherproof one mounted off the ground. got 121.6 v at the outlet. I put in NEW bulbs in the lamp post and nothing. I check voltage at the post 121.6 put another bulb in nothing, I go back to the outlet and check voltage, this time its 91.3. I unscrew the bulb and the voltage goes back to 121.6v. OK, I removed the lamp post head, nothing wrong up in there, but I cleaned it out and put it back. Still getting 121.6, so I decided to check the outlet out in a different way, I plugged in my trouble light and nothing the voltage dropped to 86.3. Unplug the light voltage back to 121.6. I'm stuck!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Somewhere you have a bad connection. Check all the wiring for a loose or corroded connection all the way back to the fuse/breaker box. The high resistance joint is dropping the voltage when you put a load on the circuit.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have checked the switch / junction box in basement where 14/2 changes to an under ground cable, all that looks good with good connections. I am going to drop the post from the loop and see if the outlet will hold the load, if not then I will go to the junction box and see if I can put a load in there and see if it holds. After that I think I will need to call an electrician. The switches are new (dimmer).

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

It wouldn't surprise me if the person who put a plug in the ground also might of put a splice in the ground somewhere as well. Did you measure the voltage where the wires connect inside the house with a load on the circuit just in case? Also outside wiring like this should have GFI protection, upgrade as well while you are at it.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi, Something not right between from the top of post to bottom.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The perfect answer. BTW I want "bad wire underground" in the office pool. I bet it is green and crunchy somewhere..

You will be OK where it leaves the house.

Reply to
gfretwell

My guess is that the problem is in the post, but first plug something other than the post into the outlet. Like a lamp. Does that work.

Voltage is always at maximum when there is no current. It doesn't drop until there is current. So you have a circuit, but you have a bad connection with higher than normal resistance. The voltage drops there. Is it between the house and the outlet, or btween the outlet and the pole light. Find that out first.

Reply to
mm