Sub Zero 550 Freezer Problem

I have a sub-zero also. These units have two compressors, one for the fridge and one for the freezer. While I'm just a home owner I just had mine serviced. These units are very expensive to replace, $4-6 grand depending on the model. Based on what the repair had told me,a new compressor would cost about $1,000 on my unit. He also said these units can last 40 years if maintained properly. In the NY area a service call is about $80 just to walk in. Sorry to say but it sounds like your freezer compressor crapped out. Good luck.

Reply to
Tonysi

Duplicate Post. Sorr

-- st2356

Reply to
st2356

Hi

I recently purchased a house that has a great built in Sub-Zero 550, Model M697077. The tag says APR88, I'm assuming that's the date it was built.

Things worked well until this week when the freezer just stopped cooling. I dusted everything off inside the top part, making sure that the fans were running ok and that their wasnt excess dust inside. I hear the compressor for the freezer running, but the coils in the freezer don't get cold. I don't hear any leaks/hissing. The fan runs in the freezer when the door is closed or you push on the buttons that active the fan in there. Inside the fridge there are two controls. The refrigerator one is lit up (blue), but the freezer one is dark with no light, even though the fans run and I can hear the compressor turn on and off when I turn the dial off/on. Like I said, the refrigerator part runs fine, it's just the freezer that has the problem.

I have only a basic understanding of refrigerators. Despite the fact that I hear the compressor running, does the fact that it is not cooling mean the compressor is bad? Or would it stop running all together?

I realize that this unit is old, but it is a nice built in with matching wood, so if the cost is not prohibitive I would like to keep it running. Could anyone give me some suggestions, maybe someone with a good understanding of Sub Zeros specifically? Are there things I should look for first before calling the repairman? Does the lack of a blue light on the control mean anything at all? Should I skip the repairman because it would be too much, and just get a new fridge? Basically, from this superficial info I have given, any thoughts on what this repair will cost?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. If you need more info please let me know and I'll post.

Reply to
st2356

Might be a bad compressor. I've seen them burnt out, after the condensor gets clogged with dust, and they can't release the heat. Another possibility is low on freon. I've seen that, also.

The one time I replaced a compressor on a sub Zero, it was about $350, and I used an aftermarket compressor. Worked fine, she hasn't called back. I've also seen low on freon, th at happens, too. As the other poster wrote, some units use two compressors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon