Stuck!! What Lengths Do I Buy? Random Length Boards

I am stuck. I have a 14 x 16 deck that I want to cover with Mahogany (Meranti). The lumber yards do not stock 14" lengths. They have 8',

10', 13', 15', 16' and 18'. These are 1"x 4" boards. So as you can see they are pretty much random lengths. Question is, what sizes do I buy to cover the deck so as to minimize waste? What is the nailing/length pattern? Anyone know of a good website for the procedure? Thanks. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks. jmk
Reply to
jk

Nail to every joist. Can you choose your lengths or do you have to take a mix? I would get all 18's if you can. This will give 0 waste (except for maybe the last course), whether you have 16" or 24" centers. All 8's would work also with 0 waste, but you would have more short pieces. 8 footers probably cost less per foot.

Reply to
donald girod

I don't like it. You end up with a lot of runs done in a lot of multiple cut pieces although it might give the least waste.

Buy the 15's. Those are just 14's with a little room to trim. Also, don't forget about your double rim joist. Depending on if you set it inside the 16oc joist, your deck might be 14' + 3" for the rims. You also probably want an overhang for the mahogany of 3/4", so you might need 14' 1.5" (or with the wider rim) 14' 4.5".

If they won't let you pick the lengths you want, find another yard that will.

FYI... it might be too late... But mahogany looks nice when you run a trim/border board around the outside edge, then run the deck boards inside that so that no cut ends show.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I would like to add to this topic

nail Mahogany by hand (with a hammer of coarse) useing 8p stainless steel "spiral" nails. (they screw into the wood with every hit with a hammer). NOT ring nails (they tend to bend easily and split the wood).

TIP bang the head of the nail across the grain (instead of drilling) then nail away....no splitting

DO NOT use an air gun.

If you can afford the expense Mahogany will last a lifetime! it makes a beautiful deck and wears well. it IS a great choice!

Lewis Contracting says "its hard to work with"

I say "it's wood isn't it" ? and you will never have to worry about carpenter ants.

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

I didn't like the spirals that I bought, as the tips were long and pointy and looked like they'd split the decking. I used the rings nails you don't like. The only place I had to pre drill were the end nails.

I'l have to try that. Sound like a good trick.

Cuts like butter with a good miter saw.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob