6" gutters?

A friend of mine says 6" gutters would work better on my house than 5". I have a cape cod and there are places where the water runs over the gutter during a downpour. Do 6" gutters look much different on the house than 5"? The cost is not too much more.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I can't tell the difference with a casual look at the gutter. The downspouts are usually bigger and I can see that. Nothing that would look out of place.

Reply to
Colbyt

I agree. I have the larger gutters on my house, and from the street, you don't notice the difference.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Sometimes the problem is the placement of the existing gutter (height) and other times there's not enough in the way of down spouts. Does the gutter actually fill up in heavy rain ? (I assume you keep them clean ?).

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

YOu could probably solve the problem by adding more drops. A 6" gutter will fill up just about as fast as a 5" gutter, but maybe it would let you go to a larger drop. A 3" downspout will get rid of a lot more water than a 2".

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

One reason for going with wider gutters is that water tends to overshoot the gutter in a downpour. An extra inch may be enough to catch it.

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

Hardly noticable. An extra inch is welcome any place you can get it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski