String trimmer spool that won't keep "breaking"?

Page 2 of 2

At Lowes the other day, someone recommended the TrimmerPlus Add-in with Aero-flex head (AF720). This would fit my Troy bilt 4 cycle. It takes 4 plastic blades that seem easy to swap out, but the cost may be high depending on how quickly they break. A replacement pack of 16 is $12. May be a lot cheaper to use one where I can cut my own string; but on the other hand, it's probably going to be a royal pain to replace the head to get things going.
Too bad there's no string trimmer attachment that simply comes with a standard, non-bump head that takes individual lengths of string.

Here are a few reviews of the model I mentioned above:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=289224-65481-TBAF&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3030659&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#prod-tabs

Not likely. Makers of monofilament fishing line strive to make it as thin as possible for unit strength. Trimmers work best with the thickest mono the machine can use. (Fishing line is also smooth: thick mono marketed for trimmers is ribbed which helps it last longer.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 6/20/10 11:25 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

Actually the ribbing is to improve cutting performance (and sucker people into paying more for it than for plain vanilla line that works just fine...)