Strange Screws

Page 6 of 7
Rob B wrote:

You haven't tried big/strong ones, then. I have some that are 1" diameter and 1/4" thick, and I guarantee you that they'll give you a pinch you will not soon forget! They are also extremely difficult to seperate, once locked-together.

well the ones i tried were small button type maybe 1/3" diameter and 1/8" thick they certainly were strong they hold more to the fridge than those crap magnets and prettier too
but i could not pinch anything with those :)

The Lee Valley catalog has a variety of rare earth magnets from 1/4" to 1" in diameter. The 3/8 & 1/2" ones are great for fridge magnets.
The 1" ones are used for cargo strap tie-downs, which should give you an idea of how strong they are. Need special techniques for prying two of them apart. If they're allowed to come together unrestrained, they _will_ chip and throw chunks. I wouldn't want to get a small fold of skin between two of those!
[I have 5 of them, I just haven't gotten around to making the separation jig yet.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
chrisv wrote:

Yes I've gotten nasty blood blisters on several occasions. Take apart any 3.5" hard drive and pull the magnets out, they'll stick to each other very strongly. If you can find an old 5.25" SCSI drive you'll likely find even bigger magnets.

ok curiosity has the better of me , i have several pandora drives stuffed in a box, couple of old 420 mb scsi out of old sun classics some old 180 - 1.2GB drives lying around, i will be going on the magnet hunt shortly. too bad i just recently dumped an old 1 GB 5 1/2 full height scsi out of old HP/UX box it made a great desk anchor
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
In my opinion, someone should be arrested for using these things.
Do a google search for 'star screwdriver computer'. You'll get lots of hits.

They're not used to make it difficult for you to get inside, but because it reduces manufacturing cost. Those screws don't slip off the bit, and you don't have to apply any pressure to the driver to prevent "cogging". They're just perfect for torque-limited power drivers in high-volume manufacturing situations.
And as others have mentioned, they come out very nicely using a properly-sized flat blade. Sometimes a hex wrench will fit, too.
Isaac

Doesnt explain why they used the tamperproof and hard to get 5 lobe format.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
Well, the other posters who called it a Torx were almost on the mark. What you have there is a Torx Plus which is marketed as a tamper resistant screw and this time Textron has put some actual controls upon the distribution of the tools needed to work properly with them. Guess they learned that everyone and their brother was selling the regular six-pointed Torx tools thus depriving them of any security benefits. Same thing with the Tamper Torx which was identical but which had a pin in the center of the star but which, once the pin was snapped off or the tool had a hole drilled in the tip, was easily removed.
If you want to buy Torx Plus tools you must, in theory anyway, be a legitimate user as defined by Textron although if you know anyone who works with them they should be pretty easily obtained at the cost of a case of beer. ;-)
http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/index.html
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-group.aspx?idy57
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

No Torx Plus in that set, just Security Torx. Torx Plus is different from Torx, and Torx Plus TR is different from either.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Doesn't appear to include 5-pointed Torx, only 6-pointed.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
(Joshua Putnam) writes:
| snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.SPAMcom says... | >
How about this:
http://sjdiscounttools.com/sk84231.html
(The SK84231 set is available from many sites, but this one had a short URL.)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No guarantee that it's the right size, (OD approx .057 in, about the same as a T5 Torx) but search ebay for "5 pointed star screwdriver". Don't have a recent Seagate drive on hand to try it on or I'd let you know if it fits. You'll get a dozen or so hits from a guy named elvis fong who sells them for Sony and Sharp PDAs. Price is about a buck plus 5 bucks or so shipping from Hong Kong so call it 6 bucks or so total.
I ordered one a while back and he got it right out--seems to be a reliable vendor.
Let him know that you're looking for a driver specifically for Seagate drives and he might find one for you.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
Judging by the number of replies you got to this problem I would equate it to the complexity of opening up a coconut, but then again, you're in the right group! If your sole purpose is to have a tool for this type of screw Jim has the most helpful advice.
If your goal is to get I that drive case *NOW* I would suggest you take a flat bit screwdriver of the same width as the inner diameter of the screw in question and put it in there and loosen it up. Yes, this works extremely well and causes no damage to the driver or the screw. I have done this so many times to gain access to devices that uses these types of screws.
To avoid this problem in the future use only Seagate Cheetah U320 SCSI SCA drives!
Rita
Rita Berkowitz wrote:

Ignore the SCSI troll.

It was, until you gave it attention.
what are you going to do with it when you get it apart ???

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
On 15 Jan 2006 23:00:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxtorx.htm
Stephen
had a flock of

none of those torx drivers in the link show a 5 pointer ? even the one that says textron applications ?