Strange Screws

Page 1 of 7
I'm looking for a 5-point star shaped screwdriver. I bought a Seagate 80GB external hard drive. Its case uses these special screws. I shot a picture of a screw here:
http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
Does anyone know where I can find a screwdriver for these screws? Thanks.
Chieh -- Hacking Digital Cameras - http://www.camerahacker.com/books/Hacking_Digital_Cameras /
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
At any decent hardware or home supply store. It's called a Torx screw. Typically an allen wrench will work just fine in the absence of a Torx screw driver.
hvacrmedic
RP wrote:

Hi, Also tight fitting blade screw driver will do it too. Tony
Tony Hwang wrote:

As long as you don't care to ruin the tip. But I've used a flat blade on many an occasion :)
hvacrmedic
The Torx drivers sold in hardware have six points, and this monstrosity has five. Of course, it is designed to be a bastard conifguration, and you can't get the driver for it.
As the other fellow suggested, try slotted jewlers screw drivers, sometimes you can get one to wedge in just right.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Or you could grind down an Allen wrench to have 5 sides.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's a "security" bit. Should be able to find one in most tool shops - NOT Home Despot, etc.

Bzzzt! Thanks for playing. That's _not_ a Torx screw. Torx screws are six-pointed, not five-pointed as described and shown.
--
Regards,

Don't those have 6 points?

Torx is 6 pointed star and won't fit 5 star screw head well. If you force the torx to work, you're liable to strip the wrench or worse the screw head.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it\'s already
"TORX PLUS" [NOT TORX]
buffalobill wrote:

I should've looked! In that case a dremel tool might be in order. A good stout drill bit and a rethreader afterward :)
hvacrmedic

If the screw only has FIVE sides instead of SIX like a Torx,then maybe it should be Torx-MINUS. 8-)
(warning;humor attempt)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Getting closer! Many in the Torx Plus line still are six-pointed drivers. The 5-pointed ones are known as "Torx-Plus TR" (Tamper resistant).
Identification chart: http://www.lara.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_idV14708.20716&keywords=bt-ip
Torx-Plus TR sizes: http://www.lara.com/torx-plus-tr.htm
jim menning
Thank you for identifing this screw as the Security Torx Plus. It does have a pin in the middle to warrant "Security". Now I just need to figure out where to get one.
I want to thank everyone for responding. In one day, there are 50 messages to help me identify a strange screw, offer help tips to unscrew it, and an explanation of clean room. Newsgroup and all you helpful people are awesome!
I also read a lot of questions on what I am planning on doing, and lots of warnings on taking hard disc apart and killing it. I would like to answer these questions and clarify my position. First, you can read about what I am planning on doing here: http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.html
As you can see, I am not talking about taking the internal hard drive apart (although I have done that in the past). But rather, I want to take the external case apart.
Chieh -- Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com /
buffalobill wrote:

Thanks for the URL, new that screw didn't look like regular torx but have seen that type of screw and certainly didn't know there were 3 different torx screws. Something new every day.
Hmmmm why do you want to open the case of the drive? If you open it outside a class 1 clean room, the drive WILL die.
Or are you talking about the drive mounting screws?
Dave

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/Screwdriver_for_5-Point_Star_Screw.files.hidden/5-point%20star.jpg
"David C. Partridge" wrote:

Perhaps the drive already *is* dead.
Don't overestimate clean rooms - they contain 100 particles per cubic meter as opposed to an "average" room containing 600 particles. A "clean" "average" room will contain far less than the 600 particles.
For what it's worth, I've had a drive running non-stop for over a week without its cover (platters exposed) and haven't had any hiccups. This hype about "clean rooms" is a load of drivel.
There are those who will say "if you get one single particle of dust on your platters, your drive will be irretrievably damaged."
Bollox. And bollox to FR, who will no doubt disagree.
Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

I'd have to side with Odie here. About 15 'years' ago I pulled apart an (now) old 85meg RLL hard drive because the auto park wouldn't release. This was on the kitchen table & that drive is still working today .... you'd think it would have just plain worn out by now.
I noticed it had filters inside it to clean the air moving inside it so I expect it was all clean again within seconds if not minutes of firing up again.
The 'new' drives I've pulled apart for the magnets seem to have the air filters as well although I'd expect today's technology to be less tolerant to dirty air what with the amount of data that they pack into the smaller space but I still wouldn't expect it to die in "a few days or weeks".
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:48:28 -0000, "David C. Partridge"

--
Australia isn\'t "down under", it\'s "off to one side"!

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au